Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Vickie's playlist---comments included and wanted

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Fri, 4 May 90 00:27:59 -0400
Subject: Vickie's playlist---comments included and wanted

Vickie here. I've gotten a few complaints about my playlists. The only ones
that worry me are the complaints that I just post a list of music and very
rarely say anything about the songs or artists. I haven't wanted to take
up a lot of space but this time I will follow each song with a short
something or other about it. I don't know if it will help or hinder in
reading the lists. I do know that it makes these posts much, much longer.
That's not good if it prevents someone from reading the lists at all.
If anyone would like to give me some feedback I'd appreciate it. I don't
just go into the library 15 minutes before airtime and pick out records.
Everything I play I own (I've bought, begged or borrowed) and I take hours,
days, sometime even weeks to put my shows together. I won't play anything I
don't like and I listen to everything very carefully before playing it.
(Pet peeve: Albums that only have one or two good songs on them, the rest
being filler. I'll play those good songs but I'll warn my listeners about
buying the albums. I don't do that on the newsgroup because I'd be setting
myself up for major flames from some people)
To those who quit reading regularly because I don't play your favorite
artists (or haven't YET), well, I'm no way, no how going to play someone
like Kylie, but there are good artists (Melissa E., Sinead O) that I just
don't have the albums yet. I don't get very many promos and my budget is
limited so I tend to spend money on things I may not be able to find again.
The readily available albums tend to get put on a back burner. I won't play
anything I don't like, but just because I haven't played something doesn't
mean I don't like it.

                           Suspended In Gaffa 111
                            Playlist for 4-28-90

    * Artist *                             * Song *
             * Album*

1.  Collection: D'Arnell~Andrea            Aux Funestes Douleurs Automne Et
            ~un Automne a Loroy                                 Long Silence
(This CD from France is lucious, rich and beautiful. They could be called
the Beautiful Pea Green Boat of France. The lead singer (Chloe St Liphard)
has the perfect "ethereal" voice and nearly all the lyrics are in French.
I bought this without hearing it just because the cover is so cool. Very
dangerous, but with this one I got lucky. I'm fairly sure this is new.)

2.  Najma                                  Baske Dushwar Hai
             Najma Sings Ghazals
(I was ecstatic to find this pre-"Qareeb" CD. It's even more traditional
and she didn't write the music this time, but her voice is as lovely as
ever and I've (no surprise) fallen in love with it. Ghazals are poems of
love from India and Najma is a master at singing them. It's just a good
thing the lyrics aren't in English though, or I'd never...well...hardly
ever, play them. I try to keep love songs to a minimum unless they're
unusual or sung in a foreign language)

3.  Wendy MaHarry                           Headless Horseman
             Wendy MaHarry
(This is a curiousity. Wendy has a cute voice and a whimsical nature. I
like this very much, and I hope she can keep expanding on her slightly bent
and fun point of view. She needs to work on her lyrics. She starts out with
a great idea, then doesn't follow through, letting the lyrics become repeti-
tive. This is a wonderful debut (?) though and I am looking forward to
following this woman's career.

4.  Lori Carson                              Junk
             Shelter
(I predict this artist will be very successful in a very short time, so I'm
not going to say very much except that she's talented, sensitive and perfect
for VH1. It's *obvious* that her idol is Rickie Lee Jones. This album was
produced by Hal Willner, who put together Stay Awake etc. I guess he needs
the money. This album is good, but I'd rather have another compilation)

5.  Jane Siberry                             Ingrid (And The Footman)
             The Walking
(Not a word to be used lightly, but fits her perfectly: Genius)

6.  The Cocteau Twins                        Throughout The Dark Months Of
             Victorialand                                    April And May
(Well, the title says it all. Besides, it's a beautiful song!)

7.  Sheila Chandra                            Escher's Triangle
             Roots And Wings
(Her first album since 1985's Quiet.)

8.  Debbie Harry                              Invocation to Papa Lagba
             African Typtic
(If you didn't know, you'd never guess it was Debbie singing this)

9.  Triona                                     Foinn Bhriotaineacha
             Triona
(I've had this on tape from a friend for years, it's great to have found
an actual album. This song is a harpsichord solo. I did not even try to
pronounce it. In cases like this I tell tapers to call me to get the
spelling. Four people called :-)

10. Katia & Marielle Labeque                   Maple Leaf Rag
             Gladrags
(Lively covers of Ragtime songs. When they play Ragtime, it's understandable
why the genre is sometimes placed in the Classical Music section.)

11. Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg                 Gabriel Faure's Violin Sonata #1
             Naumburg Presents...             in A Major Op. 13  Allegro vivo
(This is from 1982. I do believe it's the violinist's first album. With
Sandra Rivers on piano. I'd love to see Nadja & Nigel Kennedy work together.
Maybe they have and I just don't know about it.)

12.  17 Pygmies                                Picaroon Circus
             Welcome
(I like this band a lot but their albums are very hard to find. I found this
one in Chicago. I'd be amazed if I ever saw a CD of theirs. I don't know
anything about this band at all, or even if they're still together. This
LP has the most annoying poetry between songs on side 1. Great songs though.)

13. Helen & the Horns                         Footsteps At My Door (extended)
             Footsteps 12"
(This woman is a LOT of fun. I found 2 of her 12"s for 99 cents! I don't
know anything about her at all. Her "name" is Helen McCookerybook! Right...!
Cross Tracy Ullman/Linda Rondstat and add bizarre horns)

14. Soiuxsie & the Banshees                   Christine
             Kaleidoscope
(This was a request and I was more than happy to oblige. I'm a Soiuxsie fan)

15. Kate Bush                                  Ne T'enfuis Pas
             7" (French)
(A Kate song in every show? Yes, since she's responsible for me having
this show in the first place, it's the least I can do :-)

16. Aster Aweke                                Tizita
             Aster
(This extraordinary singer from Ethiopia sends chills throughout my entire
being! She was on Night Music a few months ago and I just about fell out
of my chair when I heard her voice and vocal technique. This is an extremely
hard album to find and I was ecstatic to see the CD while in Chicago. This
woman pays the bills by singing at a tiny Ethiopian restaurant in the DC area
every weekend)

17. Happy Rhodes                                I'll Let You Go
             Rhodes Vol. 1
(This is one of my very favorite artists. She's brilliant. Her music is hard
to classify. She's not pop/rock/country/newage/opera/classical or any other
label. Folk-rock doesn't cut it but I suppose it's the closest. Yet she's
not folky at all. sigh... This genius pays the bills by working in a gift
shop and playing in a bar band in Albany, New York)

18. The Carousel                                Sorrow Is The Way...
             The Carousel EP
(Trivial, but nice. This band is like (sorta) The Sundays except with more
ethereal vocals and music. Could be great if they work at it)

19. Caterwaul                                   This Regret
             Portent Hue
(Another request. I love Caterwaul but they're not for everybody. "Wall of
sound" haunting rock fronted by the most unusual voice on this planet. I
like their 1st (The Nature Of Things) and 2nd (Pin And Web) albums much, much
more than this one, though this one has some great stuff too)

20. Lori Carson                                  Which Way Be Broadway?
             (Shelter)
(One of my listeners fell head over heels in love with the first song I
played and called and begged me to play another one. It's starting....)

21. Jane Siberry                                 Train (Tom Wait's)
             live
(We just found it on the floor...yeah, that's it....we found a tape of the
concert. Really.....um....no kidding. People shouldn't be so careless :-)

22. Fairport Convention/Sandy Denny              Stranger To Himself
             Rising For The Moon
(Wattaya say Jeremy? This was for you!)

23. Michelle Shocked                             Don't You Mess Around...
             Michelle Shocked Live (promo only)
(I do get them occasionally, but rarely from record companies. This was
given to me by a friend)

24. Ruby Blue                                    Wintery Day
             Glances Askances
(Found this in the 99 cent bin and it's a jewel! Terrible cover though.
The music is good, imaginative pop with an ethereal edge. Who are they?
Does anybody know of them? I like every song on the album--rare indeed.
Interesting lyrics for the most part and the singer has a beautiful, airy
voice. I don't have the LP right here but there are only two people in the
band--a man and a woman--and they are very talented. They're from England.

Thus ends another broadcasting day at KKFI (I shut down the station at
midnight) and until next week...

"KKFI is authorized by the Federal Communications Commission to operate at a
frequency of 90.0 megahurtz at 100,000 watts. We are owned and operated by
Mid-Coast Radio Project Incorporated, a non-profit orginization in Kansas
City, MO. We will return to the air this morning at 5:00am. Good Night!"

=  Vickie   of  Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City    katefans@world.std.com   =
=                 "Suspended in Gaffa" KKFI 90.1fm                        =
=                    Saturdays 10:00pm-12:00am                            =
=       Kansas City's Alternative alternative to boyz with guitarz        =