Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Oingo Boingo

From: MasterMind <VNOZICK@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU>
Date: 3-MAY-1990 20:39:38.84
Subject: Oingo Boingo

William H. Stoner III wants to know...
>Oh and can Anyone recommend any good Oingo Boingo?  Is the live album
>a good place to start?

The live album is a GREAT place to start.  They also have a greatest hits
compilation called 'Skeletons In the Closet' which has a great selection on it.
I prefer the live album, because Oingo Boingo is one of those bands which MUST
be heard live.  They do concerts all over the country, including an annual
Dead Man's Party every year, which should not be missed, in Irvine, CA at
Irvine Meadows.  (I think it's at Irvine Meadows!)  If you do choose to buy the
live album, buy it in CD format.  The CD contains about twice as many songs as
the tape, and lasts longer.  (I have already gone through 2 tapes, since they
are close to two hours long, and hence thin.)
	My personal favorite album of theirs is BOI-NGO.  The song which
everyone knows, Dead Man's Party, is on the album of the same name, although
the album, IMHO, is not as good as some of their others.  They have released
several others (I'm not sure how many off hand), all of which are great.  Their
earlier releases, with songs such as `Little Girls', 'Only A Lad', and 'Private
Life' (the first two I think are from the album 'Only A Lad') tend to be better
than their later ones.  (This is IN MY OPINION.)  Don't bother with the latest
release 'Dark at the End of the Tunnel'.  There is one good song on it (Flesh
'N Blood) which I imagine could be bought as a single.  The rest of it is
unoriginal and banal.  What a shame for such a great band.  I guess every
artist must produce something bad sometime.  (That is, except for Kate Bush.
:-)  )  I hope I helped!
	One final thing...Is there anyone who owns the CD version of Boingo
Alive who would be willing to send me a tape of the extra songs?  I only own
the tape, and have never been fortunate enough to hear the other songs.
Thanks.  :-)

    Valerie Nozick           "...And then with the charm around him
vnozick@eagle.wesleyan.edu   He loosened it so if it slipped between my breasts
                             He would rescue it..."--Kate Bush