Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wow

From: "net.denizen" <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 May 90 03:33:18 EDT
Subject: Re: Wow

> Really-From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)

> Anybody know anything about the group Arson Garden?  Just picked up
> an Arson Garden CD called "Under Towers", sounds very good.  Kinda
> post-Smiths/Sinead jangle-drone, with well-crafted (if tame) vocals
> from April Combs (she reminds me a bit of Sandy Denny, though the
> folky overtones are pretty muted...)  Strange note: the album was
> recorded at Paisley Park!  No sign of his Purpleness, though occasionally
> there is a mildly industro-funk vocal effect.

yes - the album is plain wonderful! it's even been doing very well
at our station (i think it even hit number one and for a station
full of 120 minute-heads, that's unbelievable!). i'm not sure where
they are from, but a friend of mine saw they play in ohio when he was
home for spring break and said the show was great. despite the fact
that only four people showed up for it...he got a signed cd and
everything and invited the band to play here in potsdam since he
promised a larger crowd that youngstown, ohio had to offer...

i reviewed the album in the last issue of network audio bits. the
line i used was something to the effect of grafting an old natalie
merchant (before 10,000 maniacs went south for the winter) onto a
band sounding suspiciously like the throwing muses. frenetic, frenzied
and just plain twisted. like i said, this is wonderful wonderful
wonderful (another one of those albums that i actully agreed with
the cmj/rockpool review for a change).

woj