Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Wow

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Thu, 3 May 90 01:12:11 -0400
Subject: Wow

Who would of thought that one day I would be posting with such legends
as IED, |>oug, and Vickie'n'Chris...  Well I keep this first one simple:

Anybody know anything about the group Arson Garden?  Just picked up
an Arson Garden CD called "Under Towers", sounds very good.  Kinda
post-Smiths/Sinead jangle-drone, with well-crafted (if tame) vocals
from April Combs (she reminds me a bit of Sandy Denny, though the
folky overtones are pretty muted...)  Strange note: the album was
recorded at Paisley Park!  No sign of his Purpleness, though occasionally
there is a mildly industro-funk vocal effect.

Overall, I liked this a lot better than the recent Hex album;  up there
between the new My Bloody Valentine and Sarah McLachlan.

Anyone know if this is a Minneapolis/SP group? Do they have any other
releases?  Oh yeah, it's on Community 3 records, and is available at
Newbury's for all you Bostonians...

Current alternative female vocal recommendations:
     Isn't Anything -- My Bloody Valentine (I'd also love to know
more about these guys...)

     Here at the Home -- Tribe (I know this album has been mentioned
here before, but it really is awful good, has two (2!!) great female
vocalists, and there playing the kinda music I'd like to play in the clubs
I hope to play in, so I got waddyacall a vested interest in their success.)

     Hysterie -- Lydia Lunch (Listen to this only if you are into self
abuse... but it is fascinating, in a noisy and perverse way...)

Anyone Boston area want to talk about local groups (or anyone who
knows a women singer who's looking for a band) drop me a line...

Footah!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "He's just this guy, you know?"