Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Is she or isn't she?

From: emx.utexas.edu!ut-emx!slh@cs.utexas.edu (Susan L. Cecelia Harwood)
Date: 13 Apr 90 20:50:52 GMT
Subject: Re: Is she or isn't she?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <28104@ut-emx.UUCP> lucifer@ut-emx.UUCP (SStarrett) writes:

>Has anyone else ever see a link between Kate Bush and "Neo-Pagan"
>ideas?  I've seen references to this, even in fan club newsletters,
>but she remains evasive about it.

Two things that you probably already know: one, Kate is evasive about
most things (so 'twould seem); and two, many "Neo-Pagans" are evasive
about being so (pagan, that is); something to do with not wanting
bricks thrown through their windows or crosses burnt on their lawns...

>[list of pertinent songs deleted] I'm sure there are others...
>Anyone else see a connection?

You betcha.  _The Ninth Wave_, to my mind, is just another version of
the Descent of the Goddess (I won't take up band-width; if somebody
cares, send me mail).  And there are lots of others.

Butbutbut!!!

As I said before, I don't know if this is intentional on Kate's part
because she's pagan, intentional on her part because she likes the
imagery of the pagan mythos, or completely unintentional and just part
of her wonderful ability as a songwriter-- and the reasons don't
really matter to me one bit.  Songwriters, like any other wordsmiths,
should be able to touch *something* in everybody.  And if she touches
that part for some of us pagans, then she's just good at what she
does.

And, Kate Bush really is good at what she does, because...Kate Bush is
God/Goddess, she really is!

--

 The whims that we're weeping for our parents would be beaten for. --Kate Bush