Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Categorizations/Meanings/Art

From: esl!!dbk@ames.arc.nasa.gov (David Kay)
Date: 5 Apr 90 19:29:56 GMT
Subject: Re: Categorizations/Meanings/Art
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: esl!news@ames.arc.nasa.gov

In article <9004040347.AA12029@imagine.ADMS-RAD.Unisys.COM> bill@ADMS-RAD.Unisys.COM (Bill "Albatross!" Oswald) writes:

   The boundaries of folk are vague enough that it does serve as
   something as a catch-all, and the category has lately been
   stretched far enough to include the likes of Uncle Bonzai, Buskin
   and Batteau, and Suzanne Vega.  It's not just Leadbelly, Woody
   Guthrie, Joan Baez, and the Kingston Trio any more.

  Does anyone have any information on Uncle Bonzai?  I saw them in
San Francisco about a year ago, and some friends have a few of
their cassettes, but I don't have any other information about the
band.  During the concert I saw, they mentioned that they were going
to take a break, and implied that they would move on if they didn't
get a record deal.  What lossage that would be.

  Anyhow, if anyone knows if they're still together, where I can
get any of their music (I won't copy the tapes unless I'm convinced
they can't be bought), or any background about the band, I'd love
to know.  Every so often, I see a car with an "Uncle Bonzai:  Tastes
Just Like Chicken" bumpersticker, so I know I'm not totally alone
in liking these people.

  The band is two women and one man.  He plays guitar and sings
in a high tenor to counter-tenor voice.  Their voices blend
exceptionally well, and they sing very blackly satirical songs
mixed in with more normal music.

	David Kay
	dbk@esl.com