Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

new Sinead

From: Steve Schonberger <steve@sensual.wa.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 90 18:12:31 PST
Subject: new Sinead

Well, I really blew it last time I tried to review the new Sinead
O'Connor album _I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got_.  I got an early
review of it by phone from my girlfriend, who bought it in Norway, and
misquoted her miserably.  Anyway, retraction of the previous review
stated, here's my own.

It's quite a lot like her first release.  It seems less allegorical
and more autobiographical.  It didn't grab me quite as much as the
first, though mayhe that's because her style is familiar now rather
than new and wonderful.  The production is just as nice, though it
doesn't seem quite as complex.

The album has a pretty grim, but somewhat defiant, outlook.  She
mostly sings about sad things happening on various levels, from
personal to worldwide.  Some of the songs have the defiance or denial
of the things that are wrong.  They vary from without a hint of hope
to denial to fairly hopeful, with denial of grief probably the most
pervasive feeling.

I've only listened through once, so it's hard to describe it in much
more detail than that.
--
Steve Schonberger	Why should I disclaim anything when I own this site?
steve@sensual.wa.com	(Yet another site named after a Kate Bush song)

I should be mapped.  If mail bounces, try "nwnexus!sensual!steve" instead.