Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Bel Canto

From: Steve Schonberger <steve@sensual.wa.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 90 18:28:57 PST
Subject: Bel Canto

I'm listening to the new Bel Canto disc, _Birds of Passage_.  It's
another album in the type of music that includes things like Beautiful
Pea Green Boat, Innocence Mission, 10000 Maniacs, Heavenly Bodies,
Julee Cruise, possibly Cocteau Twins, and others.  I don't know what
to call that kind of music, but it's better off without a term for it,
since the record companies are sure to release dozens of wannabes to
it when they hear of a term for it.

Anyway, it's probably rhythmically most like Beautiful Pea Green Boat
(about which, _where_ did they get that name?), and vocally is similar
to the others listed above.  The mood is generally similar to the BPGB
album, though I think the rhythm is closer.  On a few of the songs
there are some more exotic styles that remind me somewhat of Peter
Gabriel on _Passion_.

To borrow a summary line from Jon Drukman who got it from the
Residents, buy or die.  :-)
--
Steve Schonberger	Why should I disclaim anything when I own this site?
steve@sensual.wa.com	(Yet another site named after a Kate Bush song)

I should be mapped.  If mail bounces, try "nwnexus!sensual!steve" instead.