Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*Which* Kate?

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 90 21:37:13 -0500
Subject: *Which* Kate?

Vickie here.

    There's a phrase that's bandied about in Love-Hounds every
now and then that I would like to talk about. This phrase seemed to
be used a lot when TSW first came out (when we were reading but were
not able to post to the net-how frustrating!) and I saw used again
not very long ago.

                    This phrase is:

         <"...not the Kate we all know and love...">

Who's used it in the past, who used it recently and who will use it
again in the future doesn't really matter. I would like to ask those
people one simple question though....what do you mean?

As far as I know, there is only one Kate Bush (last time I checked she
didn't have a twin sister) and I figure the Kate you know and love is
the same one I know and love and the one I know and love has about 100 or
so different characters within her. There's the "Angry" KT in Get Out
Of My House, the "Pensive" KT of All The Love, the "Cautiomary" KT of
Breathing, the "Maternal(sort of)" KT in Room For The Life, the "Cynical"
KT of Warm & Soothing, The "Sleepy" KT of And Dream Of Sheep, the "Childlike"
KT in In Search Of Peter Pan, the "Geriatric" :-) KT in Jig Of Life, the
"Masculine" KT in Pull Out The Pin, the "Feminine" KT of The Sensual World,
the "Cautious" KT of There Goes A Tenner, the "Jealous" KT of Babooshka,
the "Wild" KT of Rocket's Tale, the "Abused" KT in Not This Time,
and on & on & on & on & ON & ON & ON!!!
Lots of times there are many different KTs within one song. Yes, they're
all characters, but those characters all came out of one brain (amazing!)

I would hazard a guess that the majority of Katefans like most of the
different "Kates". There are those who specialize and if you ask them
they'll give you as many comments as there are Katesongs. "I like the
ballads best" "I find the ballads a bit boring, give me the wierd stuff"
"I like Kate best when she totally rocks out" "I can't stand the rocky
songs" "I like the love songs" "I like it best when she tells stories"
"I like the B-sides" "The B-sides belong just where they are" "Loud-just
like she says" "Quiet and intimate" "Just Kate and her piano, THAT's bliss"
"The more complex and multi-layered, the better" and on & on & on & on
& ON & ON & ON!!!

So anyway, please, the next time anyone feels a need to use the phrase
"not the Kate we know and love", just replace the "we" with an "I", and
explain just which Kate it is that she's not being.

                             OK?

Thanks!

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com