Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bobs

From: donley@milton.u.washington.edu (E. Donley Olson)
Date: 21 Mar 90 20:06:59 GMT
Subject: Re: Bobs
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9003211859.AA19397@m.cs.uiuc.edu> mendel@CS.UIUC.EDU (Michael Mendelson) writes:
>Has anyone out there ever heard of the Bobs?  They are a brilliant
>avant-garde a capella group.  I recently found a cd of theirs called
>My, I'm Large.  Apparently there is also one called New Wave Music.
>But their first album, The Bobs, doesn't seem to be out on CD.  Or is it?

Yes!  The bobs are one of my favorites too!  Here's an almost-complete
discography of their work:

Out of the Mouths of Bobs -- limited edition ep/single that's impossible to get
The Bobs (1982) -- first album, available on CD (which includes a couple of
  bonus tracks, like their remake of "Psycho Killer")
My I'm Large (1987)
Songs For Tomorrow Morning (1988)

They may have a new album out... I called their concert information line
( 415-THE-POOP ) in February and they said they were in the studio recording
a new album... So, who knows.

This is good stuff.  Their lyrics are very inventive and much less wimpy than
the Nylons or other a-capella groups that get classified as "do-wop" or what-
ever.  Also, if you like this, you might try to find something by the ex-group
Uncle Bonsai (thanks, eek!), who also have very witty lyrics and arrangements,
though they do use a guitar (gasp, shudder).

  - Eo
(donley@milton.acs.washington.edu   eo@max.acs.washington.edu)