Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Love and Anger - 1" says how she got into KaTe

From: Cynthia Loiselle <LOISELLE@cs.umass.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 21:35 EST
Subject: "Love and Anger - 1" says how she got into KaTe

Oooo, an invitation to tell my story of "how I got into KaTe!"  Apologies to
those I've already related this to individually, but I can't resist....

I'm "Love and Anger - 1"   Sort of tickled me to be last on the list when
I saw it posted.  I guess that makes sense, though, as I am a *very* recent
convert.  So, here goes....

Last fall I read a review of _The Sensual World_ in our local college
newspaper.  I had never heard of Kate Bush, but had recently started
exploring music I wasn't familiar with and something in the review made
me think, "I ought to check this out."  A little while later I heard
Love and Anger, and after a few more encounters with the song, the album
made it to the top of my wish list.  Fortunately, my husband bought it for
me for Christmas.

It actually took me a while to get into it, but the album grew on me with
each repeated listening.  It can often take me quite a while to get "into" a
new kind of music.  Anyway, as I grew to like it more and more, another part
of the aforementioned review stuck out in my memory.  _The Dreaming_, it
said.  I forget the exact words, but I knew from what I had read that it had
to be my next KaTe purchase.  I think I got it on Feb. 16th.

I listened to it once.  I listened to it again.  I was on either the second
or third time through, I think it was during The Dreaming -- WHAM!!
My god!  How could *anything* be doing that to me?!  Lots of music has
had profound effects on me in the past but *nothing* had ever come close
to this.  Instantly I knew that I was a Love Hound.

Clearly this was meant to be.  I had found rec.music.gaffa a few weeks
before buying _The Dreaming_.  I had no idea what type of music "gaffa"
could be about so I started reading.  Wow, these people are really
passionate about this singer, and I really like the one album I have, maybe
I should hurry up and hear more by her....you know the rest.

So thank you Love Hounds, your appreciation has led me down a wonderful
path.  And a special thanks to Jon Drukman, whose review of _The Sensual
World_ in the UMass Collegian started it all!

Cindy (loiselle@cs.umass.edu)