Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

the laugh stops here

From: knip sniugnep eht tniap eW <8344141@wwu.EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 90 10:01 PST
Subject: the laugh stops here

Neil Calton writes:
>Now the presence of the laugh on the Love and Anger 12" clearly
>proves it has absolutely nothing to do with The Fog.

The presence of the laugh on "Love and Anger" (12") 'clearly' says
nothing about whether the laugh has anything to do with the fog.
Didn't the hit Pink Floyd single "Another Brick in the Wall, Part
II" contain the intro to "The Happiest Days of Our Lives"?  By your
logic, that makes the intro before "THDoOL" proven to have nothing
to do with "THDoOL".

Jeffrey C. Burka writes:
>BUT:  if the sleeve proclaims that the 12" version that happens to be
>followed by the laugh is _not_ the album version of the song, then we
>have proof that the laugh does _not_ belong to Love and Anger and that they
>just happened to throw it on the 12".
>And it _does_ belong with "The Fog."  I don't care what _anybody_
>says.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the sleeve does not proclaim that the
12" version is _not_ the album version.  I believe the sleeve says that
the original version appears on _TSW_, which would be necessarily true
whether or not the laugh was part of that original version.  And, yes,
it does belong with "The Fog" in the context of the album.  Just as
the closing notes of "The Sensual World" belong with "Love and Anger".

Jon Drukman writes:
>Hello, just thought I'd interrupt here.  THE 7" DOES NOT HAVE THE
>LAUGH.  IT IS THE VERSION THAT IS ON TSW.
[and re the 12"]
>There are none so deaf as those who clutch at straws.  Clearly, this
>is not the original version of the song anymore, is it?  Call it a
>remix, call it a "special single version," call it what you will, this
>is NOT the song that appeared on TSW.

The 7" may in fact not be the version that is on _TSW_.  The fact that
the sleeve claims it is is only evidence, not proof.  It was common
a few years ago for 7" vinyl to claim "from the album <album name>"
for mixes that had nothing to do with the album version.  I have a
7" of Pink Floyd's "When the Tigers Broke Free" which came in a sleeve
that says "from the album _The Final Cut_".  Of course, it isn't,
but sleeves _often_ contain misleading or false information.

woj writes:
>Yeah, it belongs elsewhere than with "Love and Anger." Doesn't fit and
>it didn't appear on the L&A promo-CD, so that's 2 to 1 against the
>laugh (promo-CD and 7" vs. 12" "unofficial" release).

Come on.  "Doesn't fit..." is your opinion, not evidence.  The rest of
your logic would also indicate that the fadeout at the end of "Be Kind
to My Mistakes" isn't part of that song.  The promo single for REM's
"(Don't Go Back to) Rockville" and the 7" for the same song both omit
parts of the song as it appeared on _Reckoning_.  Hence, 2 to 1, they
weren't really parts of the song.

To the people I quoted, and to the people I didn't quote to whom this
applies:  most of your reasons for what you type are great; I
appreciate thoughtful or humorous or nonsensical or factual articles
in Love-Hounds.  The problem with each of the sections I quoted is
that each of them contains at least one fallacy.  (Personally I think
Drukman does it on purpose 8) )

I think the laugh is part of "Love and Anger".  I didn't used to, but
now I do.  I miss it when I hear "LaA" without it, but notice little
if I hear "The Fog" without it.  By the way, this 'clearly' proves
nothing.

Paul M Carpentier
seduction is a glorious art
sympathy is for the devil