Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KT (product) NEWS; and No, no, no!

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 90 12:36 PST
Subject: KT (product) NEWS; and No, no, no!

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

   First, IED is happy to announce that _Kate_Bush:_The_Sensual_World_
_Videos_ has now been confirmed for release on LASER-DISK in the United
States. Image will have it out as an 8-inch CLV disk at the end of March.
   Now, IED hopes that the following comments will be taken in the
constructive and friendly spirit in which they were written, and as the
final (?) word on the German phrase controversy:

 >Subject: Irgendwo in den Tiefer...
 >The text is definitely "Tiefer, Tiefer, irgendwo in den Tiefer gibt es ein...
 >phrase, at the end of the _Ninth Wave_, is especially powerful: "The depths,
 >the depths, somewhere in the depths there is a light."

   Even though you may have consulted a German friend, Meredith, your version
is still a little less than correct in respect to both sense and grammar.
   During the 1985 Int'l. KT Convention the phrase came up in conversation with
Kate's brothers Paddy and John Carder Bush, who confirmed that the words
were: "Tiefer, tiefer...Irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht." This
does _sound_ almost exactly like the (grammatically incorrect) version
you have offered above, but it means something a little different. Instead
of "Tiefer" being thought of as a plural noun (in which case it couldn't
end with an "r", as suggested above), it should be heard as the
comparative adjective "deeper". The _third_ time the word is heard it is
as a singular, feminine noun taking the _dative_ case: "in the depth".
   The issue is complicated by the fact that "Tief" may be used as a
_masculine_ noun ("der Tief") referring specifically to a deep channel of
water. This actually might have suited Kate's subject better, but the words
in that case could only have been: "Irgendwo in _den_Tiefen_...", and this
is clearly not the phrase heard in the recording. Instead, the more
common feminine form ("die Tiefe") is being used--and this makes
perfectly acceptable sense in the context, too, since it refers to "a
depth", "a deep place" or "an abyss". The only possible correct phrase
which takes into account what is heard and what makes grammatical and
narrative sense, therefore, is: "Tiefer, tiefer...Irgendwo in der Tiefe
gibt es ein Licht." And the only translation possible for that phrase
is: "Deeper, deeper...Somewhere in the depth (or deep) there is a light."
     Woj had all this very nearly correct when he posted the following:

 >I believe that the way KaTe speaks this line is more of a statement,
 >rather than a question: "Irgendwo in der Tief, gibt es ein Licht",
 >which is to say, "Somewhere in the deep, there is a light."

   The mistake here (aside from "Tief", which should read "Tiefe")
is in assuming that _Kate_ whispers the line in question: she does not.
As further explained at the Romford Kate Bush Convention in '85, the
words were whispered by a German friend of the Bush family named
Gabi Zangerl--who is given a special thankyou in the album credits.
A woman's whisper, yes. Kate's voice, no.

-- Andrew Marvick