Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

German passage (was Re: gaffa and reviews)

From: woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 13:03:56 EST
Subject: German passage (was Re: gaffa and reviews)

James Smith adds:
> 'Tiefer.  Tiefer.  Irgendwo in der Tiefer.  Gibt es ein Licht?' means
> 'Deeper.  Deeper.  Somewhere in the depths.  Is there a light?' (I've
> probably got this wrong, but am sure to be corrected.)

I believe that the way KaTe speaks this line is more of a statement,
rather than a question: "Irgendwo in der Tief, gibt es ein Licht",
which is to say, "Somewhere in the deep, there is a light." This
transcription also makes more sense syntactially in Deutsch as well
(of course, I'm going on four years of German from high school a few
years back, but that's how it sounds to me).

woj