Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Vickie's playlist-"Come...come along with me"

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 04:16:47 EST
Subject: Vickie's playlist-"Come...come along with me"

Vickie here. This show was inspired by Michael Palin's journey around
the world and the fact that International Women's Day is coming up on
Thursday (March 8). Come along with me as Suspended In Gaffa goes
"Around the World in 120 Minutes."* I started in British Columbia, Canada
and headed east.
Album list to follow playlist.

            Jane Siberry kindly agreed to be my tourguide :-)

                        Suspended In Gaffa 104
                         (Int'l Women's Day)
                         Playlist for 3-3-90

   *Country (or Province) *Artist                 *Song

1.        Jane Siberry                     Map of the World Part 1

2.  British Columbia   Cowboy Junkies            200 More Miles
3.  Alberta            k.d. lang                 Shadowland
4.  Ontario            Mary Margaret O'Hara      My Friends Have
5.  Quebec             Kate & Anna McGarrigle    Excursion A Venise
6.  Nova Scotia        Sarah McLachlan           Strange World
7.  Iceland            Sugarcubes                Regina (Icelandic version)
8.  Ireland            Mary Coughlin             The Beach
9.  England            Kate Bush                 Oh England, My Lionheart
10. Scotland           Capercaillie              Ma Theid Mise Tuilleagh
11. Norway             Agnes Buen Garnas         Signe Lita
12. Sweden             ABBA                      Chiquitita
13. Finland      Eeva-Leena Sariola/Irma Tapio   Aquae Glaucae,Colore Marino
14. East Germany       Nina Hagen                World Now
15. West Germany       Lotte Lenya               Surabaya Johnny
16. France             Edith Piaf                The Drifters (Les Momes...)
17. Portugal           Fernanda Maria            A Rosa de Madragoa

18.      Jane Siberry                     Map of the World Part 2

19. Bulgaria           Smolyan Folk Ensemble     Molih ta, majcho i molih
20. Lebanon            Dunya Yusin               The Carrier
21. Isreal             Ofra Haza                 Love Song
22. Egypt              Samira Tewfik             A Secret Life
23. Algeria            Chaba Zahouania           Sahr Liyali
24. Zimbabwe           Stella Chiweshe           Chipindura
25. South Africa       Miriam Makeba             Zenizenabo
26. India              Juthika Roy               Ghar Aao Preetam Pyare
27. Japan              Akiko Yano                Rose Garden
28. New Zealand        Look Blue Go Purple       Concious Unconsious

29.       Jane Siberry                     Map of the World Part 3

30. Argentina          Mercedes Sosa              Todo Cambia
31. Peru               Yma Sumac                  Lullia Mak'ta
32. Mexico (Tex-Mex)   Lydia Mendoza              Mundo Enganoso
33. America            Nona Hendryx               Tears
34. America            Rickie Lee Jones           Atlas Marker

*well, I went over-time (we go off the air at midnight so it's no big deal)
so it actually ended up being "Around the World in 135 Minutes"...

I had to cut a lot of things out near the end so I could end up back in
America. South America especially got shorted. Sorry!

I tried to choose artists actually FROM the countries represented, which
is why Najma and Sheila Chandra were not chosen for India. In the case
of The Cowboy Junkies, I was *told* they were from British Columbia.
Pardons if I'm wrong. Re: Yma Sumac, *I* DO believe she's actually from
Peru, not New Jersey, so no corrections OK? Anyway, if she IS from
New Jersey, more power to her!

Thanks Ed L. for Capercaillie!
Thanks IED for Akiko Yano & Fernanda Maria!
Thanks Michael Branch for Look Blue Go Purple!
Anyone from Sweden want to send me a tape of interesting Swedish singers?
I could not think of anyone besides ABBA. They're GREAT but...well, aren't
there any innovative & unusual female singer/songwriters? Or how about
traditional music? If you have something you'd want to see get American
airplay, how about it? If I like it-I'll play it!
That goes for anyone out there in netland, especially those from other
countries & those who are interested in "World Music".

Vickie Mapes
3815 Walnut, #2south
Kansas City, MO 64111
UAofA

                        Album list
1.  No Borders Here                   2.  The Trinity Sessions
3.  Shadowland                        4.  Miss America
5.  French Record                     6.  Touch
7.  Regina 12"                        8.  Tired And Emotional
9.  Lionheart                         10. Crosswinds
11. (w/Jan Garbarek) Rosensfole       12. The Singles
13. M.A. Numminen:Helena est libertas 14. Love (CD compilation)
15. American & Berlin Theater Songs   16. But Not Forgotten
17. Fados                             18. The Speckless Sky
19. Village Music of Bulgaria         20. My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
21. Shaday                            22. (same as #20 above-Eno/Byrne)
23. Nights Without Sleeping           24. Ambuya? Zimbabwe's Queen of Mbira
25. Many Voices Of...                 26. Geets & Bhajans
27. Tadaima (thanks John for info)    28. ?
29. Bound By The Beauty               30. ?
31. Voice Of The Xtabay               32. Border Music Vol. 15
33. Skin Diver                        34. Flying Cowboys

This show is dedicated to "The World-Public Access UNIX for the 90s"
and to Joe-Dude without whom we'd still be reading print-outs!

Later...

% Vickie of  Vickie'n'Chris of Kansas City    katefans@world.std.com  %
%              "Suspended in Gaffa" KKFI 90.1fm                       %
%                 Saturdays 10:00pm-12:00am                           %
%    Kansas City's Alternative alternative to boyz with guitarz       %