Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Conspiracy? Question for Julian

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 04:18:20 EST
Subject: Conspiracy? Question for Julian

Vickie here. This will be the last of this, I promise!

In some article way back when woj writes:

> I'll admit that I too am a Chris'n'Vickie
> post-reader like Julian (sorry guys!)...

>woj

(What guys?) Hey thanks!

After very nice people said very nice things, woj comes back:

> Ummm...just to address the Chris'n'Vickie thing: when I made the
> second reference to the "conspiracy", I made it knowing fully
> their situation with money and net access so it was a gentle poke
> in their direction aimed without malice. I probably should have
> added on a smilie, so consider me chastised.

Chastised? For what? You didn't say anything wrong. Either I missed
something or something. I don't think there's any "conspiracy" going
on to not read our posts. However, if there *were* one, it honestly
wouldn't bother me. Speaking for myself, I understand that my posts
are not of interest to everybody. Really, it's not a problem at all.

What really *does* bother me is this:

In Article 1637<1154767@mac.Dartmouth.EDU> Julian West wrote:

> I don't know whether anyone replied to my recent posting,
> because I threw away, as a matter of ad hoc policy, all
          ^ ^^^^^ ^^^^                                ^^^
> volumes of love-hounds of over 128K. (There were several.)
  ^^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^ ^^^^

Julian, it sounds as if you get the Digest. Are you able to see how
big the files are then, without reading them, trash them if they're
too big? Does that mean that every time I post a mega-multi-line
yakkety-yak something-or-other that you throw out *everybody else's*
posts too? I don't feel as if I should take responsibility for your
pitching, because if my long post is first, then other people write
things, then woj, for instance, posts a one-line whatever and his
header puts the Digest over 128K, then it would be *his* fault.
It could be Neil or Jenn or IED or Ed or *anyone* that puts it over 128K.
However, since my posts do tend to be longer than most, I feel somewhat
responsible.
If it were a matter of you just not reading *my* posts, I wouldn't even
be commenting. But, if I'm in any way responsible for you not reading
other people's posts, then I feel bad. Plus, I sure don't want anyone
mad at me bacause I caused you to throw away their posts.
You put me in a strange position. Do I continue with my long posts because
I know some people do read them? Or do I stop, secure in the knowledge
that I will nevermore be the cause of you trashing other people's posts?
In the end, it really is your perogative to do what you will with your
Digests, so I'm not going to let it worry me (much) and I'll just continue
on.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com