Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More about Nigel Kennedy

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 04:19:40 EST
Subject: More about Nigel Kennedy

In article <1173527@mac.Dartmouth.EDU>--------- Julian -------asks:
>> Nigel was only scheduled for one piece--the Walden piece.

> Um, which piece would that be exactly? Is this a signature
> piece Kennedy plays titled _Walden_? Or is it by a composer
> called Walden, or Walton?

Ooops!  The piece was the Concerto for Violin and Orchestra
                          by William _Walton_.

For those interested in Nigel Kennedy's background, this was in the
program booklet:

                      Nigel Kennedy

   In over 120 worldwide appearances each season, Nigel Kennedy proves
himself a musician of uncommon maturity and technical finesse, whether
playing classical repertoire, jazz or rock. He has appeared with all the
major British orchestras under such conductors as Vladimir Ashkenazy,
Antal Dorati, Sir Charles Groves, Yehudi Menuhin, and Simon Rattle.
He made his London debut in 1977 with the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted
by Riccardo Muti. The performance was filmed by the BBC as the culmination
of a five-year documentary on the development of a soloist which featured
Mr. Kennedy.
   Nigel Kennedy has toured extensively in Europe, Australia, New Zealand,
and the Far East. Two seasons ago audiences across the United States had
their first opportunity to hear him perform as featured soloist on tour
with the BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir John Pritchard. This season
he is scheduled to make orchestral appearances with the Symphony Orchestras
of Baltimore, Honolulu, San Diego, Minnesota, and Hartford. He will also
tour with the Vienna Chamber Philharmonic, during which he will be featured
in Vivaldi's _The Four Seasons_.
   Nigel Kennedy was born in Brighton, England to a family of distinguished
cellists. His grandfather, Lauri Kennedy, performed chamber music with
Heifetz, Kreisler, and Primrose, and his father, John, was a cellist with
the Royal Philharmonic who played numerous concerti under the baton of
Sir Thomas Beecham. At age seven, Nigel Kennedy won a scholarship to the
Yehudi Menuhin School to study piano. While there, he turned his attention
to the violin and developed an intense interest in jazz to the dismay of
his teachers; Yehudi Menuhin, however, encouraged his interest and introduced
the young violinist to Stephane Grappelli. Nigel Kennedy soon became a
protege of the renowned jazz violinist, performed with him on tour, and at
age 17, Mr Kennedy made his Carnegie Hall debut with Mr. Grappelli.
Mr Kennedy studied violin at The Juilliard School with Dorothy DeLay and
continued his involvement in jazz by playing in Greenwich Village clubs
with Stan Getz and Helen Humes, among others. In addition to his traditional
concert engagements, Nigel Kennedy now performs with his own jazz and
rock groups.

Oh well, no mention of Kate. I read this at the concert but must have
not been paying attention. Typing this in, I caught the line about
performing with Helen Humes. I love Helen Humes! I play her on my show.
If I'd noticed I could have said something to him! Teach me to read closer.
I also love Stephane Grappelli, it's so interesting that they worked
together! I first heard Grappelli performing on the soundtrack of the film
"King of the Gypsys", but I've never found a copy of it.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com