Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Initial comments about _HoL_ and _TSW_

From: Doug Alan <nessus@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 14:34:44 EST
Subject: Re: Initial comments about _HoL_ and _TSW_
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> You know all those people who were so disappointed with _The Sensual
> World_?  Well, I've finally been able to look at the love-hounds
> archives.  Guess what.  _Hounds of Love_ produced much the same sort
> of reaction initially!  Even I didn't like it that much the first
> time I heard it.  But now I think every song on that album is
> perfect, with the possible exception of "The Big Sky", which is only
> excellent.  So draw your own conclusions about rushing to judgment.

Except that no one ever criticized "The Ninth Wave".  The only
negative comments were that the first side is two commercial.  Even
those who were hesitant about the first side, agreed that "The Ninth
Wave" is every bit as good as *The Dreaming*.  The problem with *The
Sensual World* is that it does not have a "Ninth Wave" on it -- it's
only as good as if both sides of *Hounds of Love* had been like the
"Hounds of Love" side.  This still is damn good, of course -- it just
doesn't reach the orgasmic peaks of *The Dreaming*.

|>oug

L is for LIBBENGA who screamed "Fraud!" in vain