Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Initial comments about _HoL_ and _TSW_

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 23:11:31 PST
Subject: Initial comments about _HoL_ and _TSW_

You know all those people who were so disappointed with _The
Sensual World_?  Well, I've finally been able to look at the
love-hounds archives.  Guess what.  _Hounds of Love_ produced
much the same sort of reaction initially!  Even I didn't like
it that much the first time I heard it.  But now I think every
song on that album is perfect, with the possible exception of
"The Big Sky", which is only excellent.  So draw your own
conclusions about rushing to judgment.

I'm particularly amused by the first comments about "Runnng Up
That Hill" -- it was felt by many to be "too commercial",
"too disco", "with too strong a beat".  Well, so what?
I've heard that song hundreds of times (at least) and I still melt
every time I hear the lines "You/You and me".  I'm sure that
a lot of people who are now big Kate fans got into her through
this song -- after all, it was actually played on the radio!

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov