Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: notes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Date: 25 Feb 90 03:02:11 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Sinead O'Conner and Midnight Oil
Date: 25 Feb 90 02:30:00 GMT
Nf-ID: #R:<AZtjWoi00Vo9Q_ZEwP@andrew:835074040:silver:43300005:000:2096
Nf-From: silver.ucs.indiana.edu!jburka    Feb 24 21:30:00 1990

 kb32+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU  writes:

>    O.K., so I screwed up on the post scripts, but that was the least of
>my mistakes.  In that last post I forgot to mention that Sinead O'Conner
>and Midnight Oil had new albums out.  I believe that Sinead's is called
>"I Don't Want What I Don't Have" or something like that.

>    I was wondering if any of you KT fans happened to have already
>purchased either, or both, of these albums so you could run by a
>preliminary review.  Hopefully, I'll be able to purchase at least
>Sinead's within the next couple weeks and give it a rundown (assuming I
>get over my current cash-flow problem, or should I say cash-out-flow).
>Anyways, I feel Sinead O'Conner has a voice that is near the degree of
>Kate's, but that is my own opinion.

Has anybody _found_ the new Sinead album yet?  Last Sunday, on 120 Minutes,
MTV managed to do something right--the followed TSW with Sinead's "new"
single, "Nothing Compares 2 U" which was extraordinary (song _and_ video).
The new song is mostly strings, but nothing like "Troy"....
Anyway, I was fairly certain that they said the albu would be out on the 20th.
I've been looking for it since Tuesday, and have yet to find it anywhere.
AND I WANT IT!! <grin>  Was "20th" perhaps a UK release date?

>As for Midnight Oil's new album...

The new album is called _Blue Sky Mining_, first single being the sort-of
title track "Blue Sky Mine."  It's pretty good, though perhaps more
melodic than previous stuff (the song, that is).  An aussie friend of mine
bemoans the fact that Peter Garret (sp?) is trying to sing now.  In any
event, the album is s'posed to be released on the 27th in the USA (I think
it came out this past week elsewhere).

On a completely unrelated note...I finally got hold of the new Fish (ex of
Marillion) album on loan from a friend, and was very pleasantly surprised
to find that Fish's new drummer is Mark Brzezicki of Big Country.
Even more surprising was the listing of pipes and whistles played by....
yup--Davey Spillane.  He appears on several tracks, perhaps most
notably, "The Company"

Jeff