Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

EM Survey 4 (Part 06 of 19)

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 21 Feb 90 06:44:56 GMT
Subject: EM Survey 4 (Part 06 of 19)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uwm.edu

                Eclectic Music Survey #4 Results

Survey Posting                                      February 1990

Part 6 of 19 (Thru The Creatures)

Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

     Anything they do with Erich Kunzel on Telarc is guaranteed to be a lot
     of fun, probably the best-known Pops orchestra in the country right now
     short of the Boston Pops (who don't have a label hyping them the way
     Telarc hypes Cincinnati). Fave discs: ROUND-UP! and HAPPY TRAILS:
     ROUND-UP II, two CDs of classic Western themes . . .
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Their Telarc recordings with Kunzel will drive your system to the
     limits. Almost always exciting interpretations, unfortunately excitement
     isn't always what is needed. Ein Straussfest is a GREAT CD.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

Clan Of Xymox

     Actually their name is just 'Xymox' now. "Medusa" was too loaded with
     darkness for it's own good. "Twist Of Shadow" is less slick and much
     more bearable.
          - Wingerde van FJ fjvwing@cs.vu.nl

     Are these the same guys who were simple "Xymox" about 3-4 years ago?
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     Dark and gloomy on 4AD, somewhat lighter on Wing/Polygram. Either way,
     one of the great atmospheric bands . . .
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Clannad

     should be heard in one's lifetime.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     great Celtic group.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     In the 70's they were a brilliant jazz-tinged Irish folk band, and not
     very successful. In the 1980's they turned into a successful bland
     Celtic New Age group. For me, the only albums worth playing are "2",
     "Dulaman", "In Concert", and "Crann Ull". Enya is the baby sister of
     3/5ths of the band.
          - Ken Josenhans 13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet

     Went from the best celtic folk group to really dire electronic mumbo
     jumbo BBC theme tunes. Fuaim!
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Dire Straits & Eric Clapton

     Why are these listed together? Straits is largely a manifestation of
     Mark Knopfler's ego, but they do know how to put together a song you can
     hum. "Sultans of Swing" came out of nowhere and I could've sworn it was
     an oldie. Clapton also graduated from the Yardbirds, blew folks' minds
     in Cream, sleepwalked through the '70s, and has been feeling feisty
     again lately.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Stanley Clarke

     Bassist known primarily for jazz inventions, but who's occasionally
     dipped into the rock arena with the Stones offshoot The New Barbarians
     and lately with Andy Summers in Animal Logic.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     one of the best bassists in jazz history. Has done a lot of disco crap,
     but all his early stuff (before the Clarke/Duke Project) was incredible.
     Check out Return to Forever, or his first four solo albums, especially
     the second self-titled "Stanley Clarke" with Jan Hammer and Tony
     Williams on it (the orange cover). His first solo album is very hard to
     find and is Latin jazz. I've heard that his "If Only this Bass could
     Talk" is a sort of return to his good stuff, away from the pop disco
     crap. Hope so!
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

The Clash

     I always thought they were boring.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Important British punk outfit that stretched the boundaries of that form
     and those of rock in general. Early records are uninterrupted squawks of
     alienated rage, later they developed into politically conscious
     proclaimers. Essential.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     They don't make rock bands like The Clash anymore...
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     What I've heard of theirs I liked; very hard-hitting.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

George Clinton

     solo projects by george clinton. _atomic dog_ was a big dance club hit
     in the early 8Ts. keeping funk alive during the retched decade.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Clive Pig

     word humourist/songwriter. worth finding!
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Clock DVA

     "The Hacker" is way-evil stuff, hard to even call it "dance"-industrial
     -- you'd have to really work to dance to it. Haven't heard "The Act"
     yet. (It's ClockDVA, BTW.)
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     That's ClockDVA (all mushed together, and DVA is correct, not DNA).
     Their CD compilation "The Hacker/The Act" is not terribly original or
     wonderful but The Hacker is a good song and some of the more ambient
     pieces are nice.
          - Jon Drukman jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

Clockwork

     House Music from Florida. We are waiting for better productions.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Cluster

     German synthesizer duo (Hans-Joachim Roedelius and Dieter Moebius).
     They've done 3 or 4 albums with Brian Eno. Never heard their work, but
     everyone I know who has recommends them.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Bruce Cockburn
Bruce Cockburn is in western canada still wondering where the lions are.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     "If I had a rocket launcher, I'd blow everybody away". Stupid political
     rock.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Insufferable Canadian soft rocker just burning with righteous
     indignation and without a clue as to good music. A for effort.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Pronounced "COE-burn" is a Canadian artist who has been recording
     steadily since c.1969. His music is very socially/environmentally
     conscious and would best be classified as light rock. His lyrics are
     highly poetic and often exhibit a tempered rage. His most recent album,
     _Big Circumstance_, was recorded mostly "live" in the studio and
     contains a nine-minute song called "Radium Rain," the last 3 and a half
     minutes of which are an eerie, bluesy guitar solo that is the best I've
     heard in a long, long time.
          - Robbie Davis rdavis@en.ecn.purdue.edu

     Too pretentious for me, wears his heart on his sleeve. Some VERY catchy
     tunes though. Another Canadian.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

Joe Cocker

     Definitive singer of With A Little Help From My Friends, now imortalized
     as The Wonder Years theme. Voted the man least likely to see 1970, in
     1969.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Good and bad, depending on the song. I hate his more emotional stuff.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     I never really liked his music. I extremely dislike his cover of 'With
     a Little Help from My Friends'.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     Recovered alcoholic with gritty vocals pulled up from beneath the
     earth's crust. Can also serenade effectively.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Cocteau Twins

     Elizabeth Frasier's voice melts me. Who cares if they use a drum
     machine? "The Spangle Maker" and "Lorelei" are my favorite songs by
     them.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     Once you get used to not trying to understand the lyrics but instead
     learn to appreciate the song as an entity they are wonderful and
     responsible for more than is immediately obvious. Copernicus is made of
     bacteria.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     This is the standard against which all other synthesizer bands should be
     compared. Try "The Pink Opaque" as an introduction (a sampler). The bad
     news: most of their albums are imports in the US, and that means $$.
          - John Willmore jaw@esl.ESL.COM

     Very unusual "brilliant" sounding vocals.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

Linda Cohen

     Acoustic guitarist with a great sense of humor, very reminiscent of
     Kottke instrumentally. Her "Angel Alley" album has just been reissued,
     and it's probably all that's available. She used to be on the Poppy
     Records label, for whom she recorded "Lake of Light" and "Leda". She
     lives in Philadelphia and performs locally, but doesn't tour to the
     midwest, darn it.
          - Ken Josenhans 13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet

Coil

     Made the "Unreleased Themes to Hellraiser". I don't think it's as evil
     as the director said it was. But it's still good. Guess I should watch
     the movie while I play the record. Also think it sounds good at 33 and
     45 rpm.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

Cold Cut

     I don't think the album stands up as well as the singles. But the good
     stuff is great!
          - Jon Drukman jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

     I sorta liked "Doctor In The House" (w/Yazz) but I don't mind House
     much.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     This is very good House Music.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

David Cole and Robert Clivilles

     They made the Garage sound of NYC as producers of "Two Puertoricans, a
     Black Man and a Dominican" ("Scandalous" etc...) among others.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Lloyd Cole & The Commotions

     british pop. europe ate them up until the breakup in 1988. sincere
     lyrics.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Edwyn Collins

     ex frontman for the band orange juice. he continues to write great
     tongue-in-cheek songs. roddy frame from aztec camera helps him out on
     his new solo work.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Phil Collins

     'Ever wonder what Popeye would sound like doing vocals???
          - TRM900@PSUVM.PSU.edu

     Blecch blecch blecch except for "In the air tonight" "Lonely man there
     in the corner" and one other in the same style whose name I forget.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Did some good work (both with Genesis and solo), but now has gone top-40
     and been reduced to singing Michelob ads. Another example of good
     musicians selling out.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Does he really have to sell Michelob to make ends meet?
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     Great drummer...
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     he lost it when Peter Gabriel left Genesis. He was a good drummer, too
     bad he decided to sing. His drumming with the electric jazz group Brand
     X is hot - he formed Brand X as a fun diversion while still playing in
     Genesis.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     I've had enough, thank you.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     Impish drummer/singer for Genesis who knows popcraft cold. Also produces
     and acts.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Some of the older genesis albums after Peter Gabriel were very good. His
     first solo album was pretty good, but not great. His latest works are
     not very good, he doesn't have an edge in his music any more. I don't
     consider buying anything by him anymore, whereas in the past it would
     have been a sure buy.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     Used to be a great drummer, but now that his solo career has reached
     critical mass, it seems that Mr. Collins has given up drumming
     completely. This is more proof that he is musically corrupt and should
     be ignored.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

     Why is this man praised and Neil Diamond shunned? Is there a difference?
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

Colourbox

     Fantastic british pop duo - they haven't been heard from in years but
     they tell me there's a new album on the way some day soon. Their only
     full LP (self titled) is a masterpiece.
          - Jon Drukman jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

     Hey, samplecrazy edge-boyz! Due for new stuff someday, I hope?
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Julian Cope

     You didn't include Cope in your original list, but he deserves to be
     here, so I added the entry. Julain Cope got his start in the band The
     Teardrop explodes, and in England he gained a reputation for being weird
     by taking acid, flipping out on stage, and other such antics. As a solo
     artist, his career has been somewhat mixed. He quit drugs right after
     going solo, but his public image hadn't changed, and he had a reputation
     to live up to. By his third album, he had a direction and a focus, and
     the result was brilliant: _Saint Julian_ was slickly produced but
     contained all the raw energy and spontaneity of a wild horse. Although
     his next album, _My Nation Underground_ was a disappointment (Cope
     reports that it didn't turn out quite the way he expected), reports say
     that his next album will be another killer work. At this writing it is
     being prepared for release.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

Concrete Blonde

     "Dance Along the Edge" is the only thing I've heard, but I liked it. A
     good mix of voices in the singers. Progressive.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Connells

     college guitar pop. this is the only release worth getting.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

The Contortions

     great stuff. Led by James Chance, also known as James White and the
     Blacks. Lydia Lunch played sax for them. "Contort Yourself" was their
     first album. Sort of like James Brown on acid.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Cookie Crew

     I don't usually listen to rap music, but I really liked their song "Born
     This Way". I haven't heard anything else, but I've thought about getting
     their record.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     Rap music. Two girls from South London. Ripped off "Numbers" by
     Kraftwerk and some track by Edwin Starr for "Got To Keep On" which was
     top 20 in the UK. I hate them.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Terrific blend of House Music and Rap. (Also called Hip House)
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Alice Cooper

     He's too old for this. Who does he think he's kiddin' ?
          - Wingerde van FJ fjvwing@cs.vu.nl

     I loved "School's Out" when I was in 7th grade.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Most of his stuff is a bit before my time, but his new single "House of
     Fire" sounds a lot like most of the heavy metal/hard rock stuff on the
     radio today.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     Originator of shock rock, one-time protogee of Zappa. Off-putting visual
     show often accompanied by exciting guitar-heavy songs.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Stewart Copeland

     As the drummer for the Police, Copeland was very influential in creating
     a new sound for the 80s. As a solo artist, he's created some very
     interesting works. He created ground-breaking rock under the pseudonym
     "Klark Kent"; he gave us the haunting and bouncy soundtrack of
     "Rumblefish". Now he's a part of the group Animal Logic, which goes in
     an American pop direction and is not for everyone.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

     Drummer for the Police, partly responsible for their incorporation of
     non-Western music into big-selling pop. Now fronts Animal Logic.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     I hear he's playing with Stanley Clarke now, could be awesome if it's
     not commercial.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Originally started out in the British art-rock band Curved Air as their
     drummer (got the job originally by being the boyfriend of their lead
     singer). Only appears on Curved Air's last album, _Airborne_, which was
     (IMHO) one of their better albums. After Curved Air broke up, he and
     some other former art-rock musicians formed The Police, which everybody
     has heard of and sounds nothing like Curved Air or the Kevin Ayers Band
     (Andy Summer's former band).
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Since leaving the Police, he's turned into a fantastic
     keyboardist/guitarist as well as drummer. Pick up The Rhythmatist or The
     Equaliser - both full of twisted rhythms and great tunes. (all
     instrumental except for some cool African vocals on The Rhythmatist in
     places)
          - Jon Drukman jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

     _The Equalizer and Other Cliffhangers_ album is very good.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     One of my all time favorite groups. Favorite album has to be Regatta De
     Blanc. Most of Sting's solo stuff is pretty good. Nothing Like the Sun
     in particular.
          - Marylynn Orzeckowski discg1!istda11@bpa.bell-atl.com

Copernicus

     Didn't he have a wooden nose? No, that was Tycho. Or is that a train
     set?
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     He was right about the solar system, give him credit for that.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

Scott Cossu

     Nice in a peaceful, dreamy kind of way.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

Elvis Costello And The Attractions

     Excellent, stupendous genius of early '80s new wave/punk/ whatever.
     Clever wordplay and constantly shifting musical backdrops make for
     interesting albums. Likely to come up with strange cover versions in
     concert.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Has anyone found out whether the remastered versions are in the stores
     yet? There was a lot of discussion on Elvis in the past few months,
     especially wrt SPIKE. Has anyone conducted a poll here on his albums? I
     also am interested in comments of his albums after PUNCH THE CLOCK, but
     before SPIKE.
          - Neil Ottenstein OTTEN@UMCINCOM.BitNet

     I loved watching the detectives, but most of his stuff leaves me cold.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Interesting music. I have a few albums of his (theirs) and I kind of
     like them because they're not very pop or standard fare rock and roll.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

Alexander Courage

     Never heard anything he did, except of course the classic Star Trek
     theme.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Composer of the Star Trek theme for the TV show. Nothing else known.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

The Cramps

     A british band that has grungy, groovey guitar rifs, with catchy vocals.
     A late punk band I think, from Britain. They have put out records like,
     "The Smell of Female", and specific songs I love, "Can Your Pussy Do the
     Dog?", And "People Aint No Good", with a refrain of youngsters singing
     how worthless people are.
          - Paul Harding guru@pnet51.orb.mn.org

     Great album covers, but never heard much of their music.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     mind-bending fun degenerate trash.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     The world's foremost practitioners of Voodoo Punkabilly. Songs about
     drugs, bad sex, just plain weirdness. Can make a cover song their own
     with lots of reverb and such.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Robert Cray

     The Great Black Hope for the blues. Very silky and supple, if a trifle
     boring.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

The Creatures

     Seem quite good from that which I have heard. Nontraditional, definitely
     progressive; seems to have a better mix of voices than Siouxsie and the
     Banshees.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

--
-Dave 	datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu