Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

EM Survey 4 (Part 07 of 19)

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 21 Feb 90 06:46:08 GMT
Subject: EM Survey 4 (Part 07 of 19)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uwm.edu

                Eclectic Music Survey #4 Results

Survey Posting                                      February 1990

Part 7 of 19 (Thru Devine & Statton)

Cream

     The bass riff of Sunshine Of Your Love was the foundation of my life for
     a long time. How could three guys make so much racket?
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     The best psychedelic blues rock you could ask for. Absolutely swimming
     in drugs.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     the best was their long melted-down jams, also "Wheels of Fire" and
     "Disraeli Gears". Eric Clapton, before he became a heroin addict or a
     Jesus freak. Jack Bruce, great bassist, and Ginger Baker, great drummer
     before he did too much speed.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Marshall Crenshaw

     Sounds a little like Lou Reed, but with heavier guitar (at least what
     I've heard of Crenshaw). "All At Once You Unzipped" is what I have heard
     most often; a very strong rhythm to it.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

The Cult

     givi me their older stuff or give me death!! buy the beggars banquet
     re-release of "Dreamtime"- it has a great live album on the b-side (at
     least the tape does...) that's not noted anywhere on the sleeve. stuff
     from days as "death cult" or southern death cult is good too. try in
     god's zoo!!
          - joel metz mantis@ucscb.UCSC.EDU

     Their musical style has led to a new word being coined : "Cock-rock".
     The only times I have seen it used it is when referring to The Cult.
     Their lyrics are cliched. And I LIKE their stuff. "Electric" is one of
     the best hard-rock albums of its kind.
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Culture Club

     Blechh Blechh Blechh.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Everyone freaked and bitched on Boy George but shit that guy sould sing!
     I peg THIS TIME, their hits collection, as a must-own. So sue me.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Great singles band for their time. I passed on their greatest hits CD
     because none of the songs grab me anymore.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     I loved Boy George, he was so silly.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     I never liked this group when they first came out and were the rage. I
     still don't.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     Sexually, culturally ambiguous dance pop courtesy of Boy George.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

The Cure

     I could never understand why anyone liked them. yawn.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Inessential murmured dirges en masse.
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Oblique pop saved from the doom&gloom brigade by lots of creativity.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Some people consider The Cure to be progressive; I don't, and though I
     can't cons up a definition of what "progressive" means, I think The Cure
     fails to fit the category (though at times barely) because they seem to
     follow the trends (not just in their musical expression) rather than
     seek new ideas. Admittedly, this is a biased judgement.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     This was the first "alternative" band that I listened to, but I didn't
     like _Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me_, though I really like _Head On The
     Door_. As with Love And Rockets and Depeche Mode, I lost interest as the
     band became really popular.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

Billy Currie

     Ex Ultravox keyboard and viola person. His solo album 'Transportation'
     is pretty good. Anybody know if there's any more albums in the works?
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
     In Ultravox. Also produced solo album with Steve Howe, "Transportation".
     I think it's quite a departure from the regular Ultravox albums.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

Tim Curry

     Famous as Dr. Furter in "Rocky Horror", has had a tepid career on vinyl.
     Fluke hit "I Do The Rock" savagely namedrops mid-'70s L.A. music scene.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     So how come nobody plays "I do the rock" anymore? He wasn't too bad in
     rocky horror, but musically it wasn't that good.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Holger Czukay

     he was in "Can". Also worked with Jah Wobble of Public Image and the
     Edge from U2.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

D.O.C.

     rap. _the formula_ is a great song. the rest is interesting too.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

D'Atra Hicks

     Very good hot metallic funk.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

D.J. Pierre

     Made very good re-mixes for Samantha Fox and produced Acid House Hits.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Jerry Dammers & Simple Minds

     Jerry was the keyboard player for the English Beat, a great "two-tone"
     white/black ska group featuring Ranking Roger.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Dag Nasty

     One of the last of the great hardcore bands. The music has honesty, and
     gives the listener the impression that he/she "knows" the band. "The
     Godfather" off _Wig Out at Denkos_ has a lot of meanings, especially for
     what one might consider to be a superficial music type.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Dalbello

     As Lisa Dalbello, she looked like Canada's all-time disco queen. Still
     a super performer and well worth sampling.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Great voice. Knows how to use it to communicate the emotion she wants.
     Strong lyrics. Very interesting approach to the arrangements on
     "WhyoManFourSays". Played almost all the instruments on it. Lost a
     little amidst the guitars in "She" but still very powerful music.
          - Wingerde van FJ fjvwing@cs.vu.nl

Dalis Car

     off shoot project by bauhaus member peter murphy & japan members. kinda
     self-indulgent bass lines & key signatures, but impressive nonetheless.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Neal Davis
Neal Davis I went to high school with one.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

Danielle Dax

     Little known fact: Danielle Dax was the Wolf Girl in the film "Company
     of Wolves."
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Twisted shevox . . . DARK ADAPTED EYE is a great compilation if maybe a
     little overlong for my tastes.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Wow! Danielle combines a fantastic voice (comparable to Kate Bush on
     "The Dreaming") with upbeat synth music, ranging from pop sounds to some
     FANTASTIC middle eastern influenced rock. "Dark Adapted Eye" is a
     collection of several earlier albums, and I recommend it strongly.
          - John Willmore jaw@esl.ESL.COM

Datura Seeds

     in your face hard guitar pop. great harmonies & lyrics.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

dBs

     boring 80's new wave group. Lead singer was Chris Stamey.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     I first saw them with R.E.M. a few years ago and bought _The Sound of
     Music_ which is a really good record, but I haven't heard anything else.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     Now disBanded, the dBs were a sleeper band through the 80s. This is
     unfortunate, because lead singer Peter Holsapple is one of America's
     greatest songwriters. Some people discredit the dBs as being so much
     grungy rock-n-roll, and certainly there is an element of grunge in
     practically everything they've done. If you enjoy that, or can overlook
     it, what a great band!
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

Chris De Burgh

     Another top twenty casulty. The Getaway is fantastic.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Dont pay the ferry man, don't even listen to this guy.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Dont Pay the Ferryman was one of my 10 favorites of 83. I never liked
     "The Lady in Red" till I had a girlfriend that I love however.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     I hate his music. I think he is tone-deaf. (cf. Swing Out Sister)
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Sorta borderline folk-rock Irish artist who gets a lot less attention
     than he deserves. My favorite album of his is probably _The Getaway_.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     He seems to be mellowing out as he gets older (not that I'm complaining,
     as Chris' voice is well-suited for lush vocal passages; I just miss
     songs like "High on Emotion" and "One Word (Straight to the Heart)" as
     a mixer). A few Irish-Celtic based songs on his next album would be
     nice; he hasn't done those in many years, but he was very good with this
     genre in his early career, and a semi-return to them would be much
     appreciated by more than a few of his fans.
          - Tom Gryn TAG2@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

Del Amitri

     very talented acoustic guitar & intricate harmonied scotish band. only
     get their self-titled debut; the new stuff sucks as they have dropped
     essential members.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

De La Soul

     Fat rap artist. What sort of people buy his records? Totally dull.
     Dullsville Idaho.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     interesting hip hop sampling.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Proof that rap and baaaad attitude are not necessarily one and the same;
     De La are sort of the "Anti-Enemy". Enough creative sampling to get the
     boyz in legal trouble, some cold groove in spots and a great party
     record.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     The bests in rap, to my opinion.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

     Their album sounds like three intelligent, aware young men smoked a
     bunch of joints and did whatever occurred to them when they were in the
     studio. Rap for people who aren't really into rap.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     _3 Feet High And Rising_ wins the honor of being the only rap album I
     own. It's not as I good as I thought it would be, but "Magic Number" and
     "Say No Go" have become two of my favorite songs.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

De Lite

     Bad imitation of Inner City Detroit Techno sound.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Dead Can Dance

     The angels have traded in their harps for synthesizers and all variety
     of percussion... Classical music, from a modern perspective. This is not
     just Tomita playing the classics, these pieces are original and just as
     beautiful (and ambitious) as Brahms, Haydn, or Dvorak. (If that doesn't
     start a flame war... ;-) Try "Dead Can Dance" for a more percussive
     approach, or "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun" for the choral flavor.
     You cannot go wrong.
          - John Willmore jaw@esl.ESL.COM

Dead Milkmen

     For their "Bucky Fellini" LP they billed themselves as "America's only
     pro-crack band"  Pretty good music, though.
          - James Martin <martin@cpsc.UCalgary.CA>

     Another group I'm dying to here.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     As the cover sticker on their latest album said "They're fast. They're
     loud. They're funny. They're my band." Lead singer Rodney Anonymous has
     tremendous ranting ability, and the sarcastic humor that the band
     produces is very true, very believeable. It seems like their world has
     been one filled with obnoxious trailer park owners and snotty
     adolescents; they paint a bleak picture of the world, but we know
     they're having fun as they thumb their nose at it.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

     How Long Can This Go On? Hey, they're still funny at least . . .
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     One of the most hilarious bands I've ever heard.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     Punk Rock Girl should prove to be a classic song.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

Deep Purple

     You know, I really liked these guys at the time, and still listen to
     them today. For a heavy metal band they could play. And they were around
     before heavy metal became completely formularized.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     "In Rock" first album worth owning, forget "Fireball", "Machine Head" is
     their most consistent. "Made in Japan" & "Made in Europe" are two
     excellent live albums showing the band in two different styles. "Burn"
     is good but sounds more like Rainbow than 'classic Purple'. Their recent
     reformation albums are patchy with "Perfect Strangers" being the best.
          - Iain Smith & Jonathan Habrovitsky
          jhabrovi%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Bronto-rock at it's finest. Gone through several personnel changes.
     Their "Smoke on the Water" probably convinced a lot of kids that they,
     too, could play guitar.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     I liked "motorhead" when it first came out and I was 15.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Sad to say, I lost interest after they did River Deep Mountain High. One
     of the first real heavy bands.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     The original deep purple was great.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Def Jef

     L.A. rap sounds to be very promising.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Defunkt

     I heard that this is an amazing punk-funk group with some great free
     jazz players in it, maybe Lester Bowie on trumpet?
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Constance Demby

     I picked up a copy of her Novus Magnificat about two years ago on the
     strength of the fact that it was highly praised in a "30 CD's every New
     Age Listener Should Own" kind of article in one of the audio magazines.
     It is a synthesized "space symphony" which leans heavily on the deep
     oooooming chords. As music, it is unadulterated pap and shows few hints
     of talent. As atmospheric material, it is interesting. I'd say: worth
     fast forwarding through just to get the gist if you can borrow it from
     someone.
          - Garth Snyder garth@cs.swarthmore.edu

     Incredible!!! All I have is "Novus Magnificat", and I think it is
     marvelous. Electronic Space Music. She laid this thing down directly,
     and then just did overdubs. The Emulator II sounds are fantastic.
     Recommendations: _Novus Magnificat_
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

     _Novus Magnificat_ is the only album of hers I've heard, but it is
     excellent. One of the best New Age albums around.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Sandy Denny

     She was the lead singer for a famous Irish group. Great voice.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Deodato

     dull jazz keyboard.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     I play his _2001_ to annoy people who take classical music too
     seriously.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     Instrumentalist who had a hit with his synth version of "Also Sprach
     Zarathustra" in the '70s.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Depeche Mode

     5 members, all of them play synthesizers. IMHO, "Speak and Spell" was
     their best album.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Another group whose every album had some stuff that I love and some
     stuff so boring I'd want the CD just for quick advance.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com
     dull synth disco.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     I like the darker stuff. Someone buy me those insane Japanese remix
     sets!
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     I prefer their early, lightweight material like, say, 'New Life'. The
     doom and gloom of their later material just isn't for me. Although I
     have to admit I did like 'Personal Jesus'.
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     O.K., but the more popular they get, the less I like them. _Black
     Celebration_ is the only DM album I have.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     One of the most underrated bands in the UK. Somehow, because of their
     early association witn Vince Clarke (now of Erasure fame) they got a
     teenybopper image. As anyone who has bothered to listen to their
     post-Vince Clarke stuff will know, they're anything but uncomplicated.
     Martin Gore is one of the most intelligent songwriters around.
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     This used to be my favorite group; though now I find that their songs
     tend to be very centered on the "sex = death" equation (Black
     Celebration, the album, in particular). I like their most recent stuff
     better than their older stuff (eg Speak and Spell) because I feel the
     latter is too "bubble- gum"ish at times (please don't ask me to
     explain).
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Rick Derringer

     Blues rock sidekick of Johnnie Winters, had a hit with "Rock and Roll
     Hootchie Koo".
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     rhythm guitarist for Edgar or Johnny Winter, went out on his own.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Deuter

     German musician who was doing New Age music back before they called it
     that. Highly recommended.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     The love of my life cannot, or will not, pronounce this man's name. It's
     DOY-TER. GOT that, Asha? :-)
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Devine & Statton

     alison devine was in the young marble giants. here she connects with the
     talanted songwriter ian statton. all acoustic, minimally produced songs
     which showcase alisons superd voice. unlike any other female vocalist i
     have heard: very nice.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu
--
-Dave 	datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu