Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

EM Survey 4 (Part 01 of 19)

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 21 Feb 90 06:38:42 GMT
Subject: EM Survey 4 (Part 01 of 19)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uwm.edu

                Eclectic Music Survey #4 Results

Survey Posting                                      February 1990

Part 1 of 19 (Thru Jon Anderson)

13th Floor Elevators

     '60s psychedelia from Texas, maybe? I seem to recall Roky Erikson (sp?)
     being in the group.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     They were a 60's psychedelic garage band. I don't recall anything about
     their music.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

24-7 Spyz

     they look like rappers yet play in-your-face thrash. kinda like bad
     brains or living colour, but without the reggae or hip hop influence.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

45 Grave

     Sorta goth, I guess. Not too bad.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     When they came to Atlanta years ago, a friend of mine went with a group
     of his friends and the band to a local graveyard.One of his friends
     snuck off with Dinah,the singer,and her husband,also in the band, went
     looking for her.Appar- ently he found the two and my friend's friend
     lost his leather jacket when the two suddenly had to leave.But he did
     get to keep the diamond earrings she left behind.
          - Jon Kincaid dsrekjk@prism.gatech.edu

8th Route Army

     middle 8Ts punk
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

999

     a group I'd hear in new wave clubs in the mid 80s and nowhere else.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     Did they do "Homicide"? If they did, they were totally pissed-off and
     had the guitars on 10.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Hard rocking post punk. A couple songs I like but I wouldn't buy their
     records.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

     I've seen albums by them in some stores and in WRCT's record library
     (Carnegie-Mellon campus station). Some kind of German progressive art
     rock group.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu
A House

     All I've heard is the stuff on the Sire "Just Say..." CDs, but it's
     pretty infectious pop stuff.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     I remember hearing "Call Me Blue" however long ago it was, and liking
     it, but I was not impressed enough to pursue this band any furthur.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     Somewhat melodic band with a song I love "I'll Always Be Grateful" and
     an almost as good "Call Me Blue"; my 41st favorite LP of 89
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

Philip Aaberg

     Usually too mellow.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

John Abaercrombie

     An excellent guitarist. The first thing I heard by him was when he was
     in Billy Cobham's band, not on the first post-Mahavishnu "Spectrum"
     album, but the one after that. He plays wild electric guitar, borrowing
     from John McLaughlin's ground-breaking style, but adding his own
     personality. He also did a duet album with Ralph Towner of Oregon. Then
     he did a couple of albums with Jan Hammer on synth and Jack deJohnette
     on drums, which were excellent. I think one is called "Night". He also
     did a couple of albums with deJohnette on drums and Dave Holland on
     upright bass - "Gateway" and "Gateway 2". These were completely
     improvised. He became a member of Jack deJohnette's Directions for a few
     years, and then put out his own albums. Haven't heard them.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

ABC

     Dance music. All I've heard is "Lexicon of Love" but it's not bad (for
     dance music).
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

     I knew a lot of people in high school that liked this band, but it never
     did much for me.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     I understand Martin Fry is now embarrassed by the earlier stuff the
     group came up with (e.g."Poison Arrow"). "One Better World" was pretty
     good but I haven't heard anything since. Sort of house music nowadays.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     LEXICON OF LOVE is a great great great album, but it's all been downhill
     since then. Last album I liked at all was ZILLIONAIRE, last song I liked
     was "The Night You Murdered Love", and everything I've heard off UP!
     bites it hard . . .
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Liked "Lexicon..", "Beuty Stab" was a creative try to turn away from
     their previous album, but there are to many things on it that don't work
     for me. "How to be a Zillionaire"'s title track , 'So hip it hurts' &
     'Tower of London' are very funny commentaries on the 80's. "Alphabet
     City" sucked big time, a attempt to emulate the sound of "Lexicon.."
     that went boring. "Up"'s is nice but has nothing to add to whats around
     already, neither the lyrics nor the music.
          - Wingerde van FJ fjvwing@cs.vu.nl

     Liked some of their earlier stuff, then they actually got light enough
     that they were Adult Contemporary radio faves for a while ie "Be Near
     Me"
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     some disco band, I think.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Paula Abdul

     Strange blend of classical funk and house-like dance music. But some of
     her re-mixes (specially those made by Keith K.C. Cohen) are very good.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

     A good choreographer, (sp?) but can't write songs.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     Great dancer, but nothing much to listen to. The vid for "Cold Hearted"
     is way-classy if you turn off the music . . .
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Great mostly-brainless dance music. Turn it up loud.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

     I always mix her videos up with Janet Jacksons. And if I don't have my
     glasses on they even look alike.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     I hate this sort of music. It seems to be popular as well. "Straight Up"
     was wildly overplayed.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Like Madonna, her songs aren't all that bad at first until top 40 radio
     plays them every 90 minutes for 3 months per song.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     Looks great on video and can dance with the best! I don't understand the
     violent anti-Paula reactions she gets. I don't think I'll buy her album,
     but I'll look for a video compilation.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Nice singles, hot chorography but probably to "producer-dependant".
     Wonder how much she can do on her own.
          - Wingerde van FJ fjvwing@cs.vu.nl

     she has a video every 15 minutes on MTV where she dances with a cartoon
     cat. She has a nice smile and sexy legs.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Silly teenybopper S*IT!
          - David Caldwell macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

     Very Top 40. Great dance music tho'.
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

AC/DC

     Aside from fond memories of a wild party where some guy held two
     basketballs in place while their song "Big Balls" played, and my re-
     writing of Dirty Deeds to fit a particular situation, no pleasant
     memories.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     Eternal adolescents of Australian metal. Actually quite enjoyable if you
     turn off your brain.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Heavy/Rock band. Sometimes with very humorous lyrics. Rock music with a
     driving beat. Makes you wanna just shout!!!!
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

     Ick.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     Perhaps the world's most boring heavy metal band
          - rmiller@sbcs.sunysb.edu

     The best AC/DC album is "Electric" by The Cult.
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     They have a few good songs but I don't think they're good enough to
     warrant buying their records
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     This is my favorite hard/heavy band. For some reason, I find it real
     easy to dance to their music. (Dancing to heavy metal? How weird!) I
     especially like their stuff off of _Who Made Who_. "You Shook Me All
     Night Long" has a solid, driving rock beat, and the lyrics have just the
     right amount of sleaziness for my tastes!
          - Eddie Gulbransen cse1011%eve.wright.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

William Ackerman

     Good acoustic guitar work. I have only heard cuts off the radio, but I
     really enjoy the songs I hear by him. Windham Hill.
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)
     Had perhaps two good albums before they all sounded the same. _Past
     Light_ is my favourite.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

Act

     A duo consisting of Claudia Brucken of Propaganda and Thomas Leer of,
     well, Thomas Leer. 'Laughter, Tears And Rage' is the only album so far
     and it has two or three decent tracks on it, but it isn't in the same
     league as most of Propaganda's output. 'Snobbery & Decay' is probably my
     favourite track.
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Not as good as Propaganda.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

     Obsure ZTT goodie, great for fans of the Zang Tuum Tumb sound. Claudia
     Brucken's vocals are very classy and as usual the production on their
     album is immaculate.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Douglas Adams

     This isn't the same guy who wrote the Hitchhiker's Guide series, is it?
          - James Martin <martin@cpsc.UCalgary.CA>

     Do you mean the one who wrote HHGG? If so, could someone please tell me
     where I can get any tapes of his?
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     Don't say he has started a musical Hitchhiker's version. Or is this
     someone else?
          - Neil Ottenstein OTTEN@UMCINCOM.BitNet

     He sings? Yeuch. Go for disaster area instead...
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Loved the HHGTTG books. "Life... don't talk to me about life."
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Wrote hitchikers guide to the galaxy :^).
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Adeva

     Her "Respect" is a masterpiece of New-York Garage Music. The new remix
     of "beautiful Love" is terrific. One of the best black music female
     singer.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

     The kind of crap that teenagers listen to in the UK (and probably lots
     of other countries too, I fear).
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Adonis

     [Acid] House. "H.O.U.S.E." was on some acid compilation I got. Excellent
     track. Also had a track on the video "The Evil Acid Baron Show" but I
     didn't know which one it was.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     wonderful re-issue of adian sherwood (of Tack>>head fame)-produced
     instrumentals.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

     george clinton helps out on this one; straight up funk.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

After The Fire

     Didn't they do that awful version of "Der Kommisar" (sp?)? Falco did a
     much better job.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     I recall they had a big hit with the English-language version of Tav
     Falco's "Der Kommissar". Falco's original German version was much
     better....
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     One of the early (late seventies, early eighties) British technopop
     groups. They had links with New Musik and a similar sound but never
     achieved the same success. Some of their music reminds me of late Be-Bop
     Deluxe. Anybody know what happened to them or if any of their albums are
     available on CD? ..the guy who played keyboards was called Memory Banks.
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Alien Sex Fiend

     Perhaps a little too punkish/acid-rock rather than eclectic. Truly
     psychedelic. Somewhere between technobeat (Sigue Sigue) and Ministry.
     Hard to describe.
          - Kevin Martin sigma@pawl.rpi.edu

Carlos Alomar

     He was David Bowie's guitarist for a while.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Steamin' guitarist known for collaborations with Bowie.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Alphaville

     A West German group. The music is a kind of experimental/ electronic
     pop. Their debut album, 'Forever Young', was full of startling melodies,
     odd but (mostly) purposeful lyrics, and a sense of rhythm which very
     little electronic music manages to present. 'Afternoons in Utopia' was
     a move in a new direction. Most of the music was perfomed by other
     musicians, although it was composed by Alphaville. The music and lyrics
     have an atmosphere of great urgency and expectance; the music is almost
     breathless at times, driving and unwilling to stop, while the lyrics are
     often urgeing the listener to prepare for 'changes coming soon' and
     extraordinary events. The crown of this album is a stunning song,
     'Lassie Come Home'. It is delicately detailed with a multitude of layers
     which shift and drift over one another, and fairy-tale fantasy lyrics.
     The latest album, 'The Breathtaking Blue' was another change in style.
     It seems at times almost minimalist in comparison to the previous one,
     and in fact the number of musicians was greatly reduced. The lyrics seem
     more introspective and far less urgent, but retain the same mystical
     quality. This album was produced by Klaus Schulze, and has a
     crystal-clear depth to its atmosphere which allows every detail to be
     heard.
          - Daniele dmp%ukc.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     I always wondered why women liked "Forever Young" since at first hearing
     it seemed kind of boring cp "Big in Japan". Then I listened to the
     words, saw the video, and was glad for its re-release in late 88 as I'd
     for the most part missed it first time around. Also like their song
     "Lies" which was flip of FY 7" in 88, not the Thompson Twins song.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     Pretty boys with pretty synthesizers and misplaced feelings for drama.
          - Wingerde van FJ fjvwing@cs.vu.nl

     Sentimental favorite of billions of US highschool kids who chose
     "Forever Young" as a class theme song. Bombastic in most of the right
     ways, but their singles are better than their albums (and they couldn't
     even manage enough good ones to fill out their hits collection -- had to
     pad it with remix versions.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     What is it about "Forever Young" that makes everyone like it so much?
     The song is atrociously sappy and EXTREMELY overplayed.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

And Also The Trees

     friends of the cure. lush production of guitars & synth under strong
     voice.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Ian Anderson

     Leader of Jethro Tull. A real "survivor", he's been putting out product
     that he doesn't have to be ashamed of for a good 20 years now. Music
     tends heavily towards medieval sounds, but can rock.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Sings, plays flute, cans salmon, what more could you wish for.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     the singer/songwriter/flautist of Jethro Tull. Can't praise him enough,
     at least on his early albums - I lost touch with Jethro Tull after
     "Minstrel in the Gallery" although I love everything up to there.
     Favorites are "Thick as a Brick" and "Passion Play", both long involved
     progressive epics.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Ian A. Anderson

     Not to be confused with the better-known Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.
     Ian A. Anderson played electric guitar with the English bands Hot
     Vultures, English Country Blues Band, and Tiger Moth. ECBB was an
     attempt to cross blues with English trad folk material; I'm quite fond
     of their two albums, but I've heard real blues fans pan them. Tiger Moth
     was an English electric folk dance band, much like the Albion Dance
     Band. After about 20 years with little success, Anderson seems to have
     retired from performing to concentrate on editing the influential
     magazine Folk Roots and running the Rogue Records label.
          - Ken Josenhans 13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet

Jon Anderson

     I like the all the new music by ABWH. As for YES I particularly like
     their old stuff. Jon Anderson is great!!
          - Marylynn Orzeckowski discg1!istda11@bpa.bell-atl.com

     Best known for his work as lead singer of Yes, but he's tragically
     underrated as a solo artist. His voice is very distinctive; it's high,
     but not falsetto, and vocal purists generally like it. His lyrics are
     always very optimistic; his music has a high energy that can be
     appreciated both by the traditional art-rock lovers and the progressive
     new music crowd. "Animation" is his best solo work to date (released in
     1981, I think).
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

     did some solo stuff in addition to Yes. "Olias of Sunhillow" is decent.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Don't attempt to sing along except with medical supervision. Friend of
     Mr Cairo.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Dunno about his solo stuff but his work with Vangelis is pretty neat;
     sounds like what you'd expect Vangelis with vocals to sound, anyway.
     He's done a few good tracks ("In High Places", "Shine") with Mike
     Oldfield too.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Either the spacy lyricist/singer for Yes, or conversely, a country
     crooner.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     He is my favorite singer. He has some old solo albums that are pretty
     good, but not as good as the stuff he does with Yes.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     Lead vocalist of Yes and Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe. Has a very
     good voice. Has a few solo albums out, including '3 Ships', a
     compilation of his own Christmas songs. Also sings occasionally for many
     different artists.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

     On some good stuff (some of the later Oldfield, for instance), but I
     don't think he had much to do with their being good
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

--
-Dave 	datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu
	....uwm!uwpvacs!datta