Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

EM Survey 4 Introduction

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 21 Feb 90 06:37:33 GMT
Subject: EM Survey 4 Introduction
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uwm.edu

                     Eclectic Music Survey #4 Results

Survey Posting                                               February 1990

In 19 accompanying postings you will find the results of the fourth
Eclectic Music Survey, this survey has been the most successful survey I
have done to date. The main intent of this survey was to get an idea of
what net folks had to say about different artists. Although the results
are long (387K), you might want to save them off and read them later. I
have had to split the results into 13 parts.

On January 15th, I posted a list of 963 artists with the following
instructions:

    Here is a list of artists, Please take this list and chop it to
    pieces, post something pertaining to one of the artists, reply to
    me and I will summarize comments. Never heard of an artist ask the
    world. I can tell you at least a song title to look for by every
    artist on this list. Others probably have more information than I
    do. If you are ambitious, *** I DARE *** someone to just try &
    classify these into various "types" of music.

The list was re-posted February 1st reminding people to respond, results
were accepted until February 17th. I received replies from 48 people,
totaling 1782 comments on approximately 572 artists (not counting artists
responders added), 391 of the artists I listed were not commented on.

It took me 3 days to compile the last survey, that one ended up with 100K
of results. Even though this one is bigger, it has only taken 2 days to
re-arrange, I learned a bit from the last one so this time it was a
little easier.

I would like to thank those who responded for pointing out errors in
spellings. (For the third time, I mis-spelled Cabaret Voltaire. I have
finally gotten it right this time :-).

I got replies from: (In no particular order)

Kevin Martin                      sigma@pawl.rpi.edu
Chris Chavez                      ccmchris@pollux.ucdavis.edu
jim murphy                        21329JM@MSU.BitNet
Paul Harding                      guru@pnet51.orb.mn.org
Jon Drukman                       jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
Iain Smith & Jonathan Habrovitsky
jhabrovi%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
Hans Huttel
    hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
Marylynn Orzeckowski              discg1!istda11@bpa.bell-atl.com
                                  TRM900@PSUVM.PSU.edu
Wingerde van FJ                   fjvwing@cs.vu.nl
Simon Lea                         csc458@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
Eddie Gulbransen                  cse1011%eve.wright.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Ken Josenhans                     13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet
Valerie                           valerie@athena.mit.edu
Greg Tsoutsas
    @neat.cs.toronto.edu,@mnetor:@becker:greggy@contact
Frank J. Schima                   francis@pawl.rpi.edu
David Caldwell                    macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
John Gateley                      gateley@m2.csc.ti.com
Lazlo Nibble                      lazlo@ariel.unm.edu
Anton C Shepps (Tony)
    rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu
                                  sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU
Alan Crawford
         awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
Daniele                           dmp%ukc.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
Neil Ottenstein                   OTTEN@UMCINCOM.BitNet
Robbie Davis                      rdavis@en.ecn.purdue.edu
Paul Maclauchlan                  moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET
Geir Stenstud                     geirs@ifi.uio.no
Christopher Waldemar Bochna       cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu
Tom Gryn                          TAG2@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
                                  rmiller@sbcs.sunysb.edu
joel metz                         mantis@ucscb.UCSC.EDU
John M. Relph                     relph@presto.ig.com
Brad Crafton                      bdcrafton@dahlia.waterloo.edu
Chris Koenigsberg                 ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu
Jon Kincaid                       dsrekjk@prism.gatech.edu
John Willmore                     jaw@esl.ESL.COM
Stephen K Mulrine
    smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
PATRICK JEROME O'LEARY JR         gt0987c@prism.gatech.edu
Hussein Yahia                     hussein@bora.inria.fr
Garth Snyder                      garth@cs.swarthmore.edu
Richard Caley
    rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
Richard Todd                      rmtodd@servalan..ecn.uoknor.edu
Richard Caley
    rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
Paul Mount                        prm@whutt.att.com
Bill White                        bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu
Steven Seidman                    sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
del Amitri                        del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu
James Martin                      martin@cpsc.UCalgary.CA

Thanks again for responding, I really enjoyed reading all of the
comments, many of you had fun replying and I hope everyone has fun readin
the results.

Please see the accompanying posts for the results.

Eclectic Music is a production of

                     Datta Production and Development
                              905 97th Street
                             Kenosha, WI 53140

                          datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu

This newsletter was brought to you via computer resources courtesy of
University of Wisconsin-Parkside and Datta Production and Development.

All of the opinions in this newsletter belong to the respective authors
and do not necessarily agree with those of Datta Production and
Development.  Datta Production And Development is not affiliated with
University Of Wisconsin - Parkside or the University of Wisconsin System.

--
-Dave 	datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu
	....uwm!uwpvacs!datta