Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

EM Survey 4 (Part 03 of 19)

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 21 Feb 90 06:41:19 GMT
Subject: EM Survey 4 (Part 03 of 19)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uwm.edu

                Eclectic Music Survey #4 Results

Survey Posting                                      February 1990

Part 3 of 19 (Thru David Benoit)

B52s

     The old stuff (eg Rock Lobster) was much better, in my opinion. I like
     Channel Z, but Love Shack is too "pop" for me.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     Another group from the beginnings of the new wave era. Their first few
     albums were fantastic. I guess it would be modern 60's music. Some may
     consider their music a little strange. _Bouncing off the Satellites_ was
     kind of on the pop side, but there are a few good cuts off it.
     Recommendations: _B52's_, _Wild Planet_
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

     Gender-integrated new wave group with tongue-in-cheek subject matter and
     barely contained chaotics. Really irritating lead singer Fred Schneider.
     Brought space imagery back to pop with "Planet Claire".
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Hate to think how many 14 year olds think Cosmic Thing is their first
     album. For me, almost every album is the same in this way: I really like
     a couple of the songs, find a couple fun, and a couple too bland or TOO
     rowdy. Fun in Concert (Beacon Theatre Nov 80) then anyway. Heard that
     Ricky Wilson died of AIDS.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     I had written these guys off, but "Love Shack" and the other singles
     from the "Cosmic Thing" album caught my attention. Mindless fun. After
     ten years they've actually become competent players and writers.
          - Ken Josenhans 13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet

     I kinda like to listen to them when I'm not in a 'serious music' mood.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     I really like _Cosmic Thing_ even though I never cared much for the
     B-52's. "Love Shack" is kind of annoying because it was a Top 10 (or
     whatever) single, but the album is really good (esp. "Channel Z", IMHO).
     I haven't heard much of their earlier stuff (except "Private Idaho" and
     "Rock Lobster", of course), so I don't have much to compare it to.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     Nice hairdos.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     They were fun in the 1970's. I saw them live in 1978 or so. They had no
     bass player - just a guitar player. Their latest MTV video about
     "roaming around the world" is extremely tasteless and offensive.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     What do people see in this bunch? Way too derivitive for my taste.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

Johann Sebastian Bach

     A classic!
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Classical giant.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Do you mean the eighteenth century composer? Or is this some other
     Johann Sebastian Bach? Loved his Brandenburg concertos and keyboard
     works, but his cantatas are a bit weak.
          - rmiller@sbcs.sunysb.edu

     everything he wrote is Godlike.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Great composer, but hasn't written much lately.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     In classical music as in rock and roll, there is a lot of trash and some
     great music. Bach wrote some of the greatest classical music pieces. It
     would be interesting to see what he would write today.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     My favorite is Brandenburg Concerto #5, although everyone I talk to says
     Brandenburg #3 is better.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Probably the greatest rocker of all time.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C is as close to transcendence as I can
     get.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     Unless this is some new heavy metal group, one of my favourite
     composers. Far superior to Handel who was also born in 1685.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     What can you say? A true master. If you don't enjoy him, your ears need
     adjusting :^)
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Anita Baker

     Adult contemporary at it's adult contemporaryest. Yawn...
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     The kind of bland yuppie `soul' that people in their mid-30 are so
     damned fond of...
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Yuck. Have never liked anything she's done.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

Arthur Baker
     He did some great stuff with New Order on `Power, Corruption, and Lies'.
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Love the remix he did for New Orders "Touched by the hand of God". The
     guy knows his sounds.
          - Wingerde van FJ fjvwing@cs.vu.nl

     One of the bests in Dance Music as a producer, but not as a composer.
     His last album is not so good.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Band of Holy Joy

     i'd certainly like to know more about this band. i keep seeing it in the
     import section of the record store.
          - joel metz mantis@ucscb.UCSC.EDU

Baffo Banfi

     Do you mean Baffo Banfi here? Baffo Banfi is an Italian synthesizer
     player; his music is supposedly good, though I've never heard it.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Peter Banks

     Original guitarist for Yes. Produced instrumental album called "Two
     Sides of Peter Banks" with such notables as Phil Collins, Steve Hackett,
     and John Wetton. The others went onto fame and fortune, while I haven't
     heard of Peter Banks since.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

Tony Banks

     Music is decent, but Tony should be advised to stay behind the keyboards
     and do background vocals only!
          - TRM900@PSUVM.PSU.edu

     the keyboard player for Genesis.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Gato Barbieri

     screaming sax solos over latin jazz.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Pete Bardens

     Ex-keyboardist for Camel, now has two solo electronic albums. His first
     one, entitled _Seen One Earth_ is quite enjoyable. It'll keep you
     humming. After listening to his first album, I said "This is exactly the
     type of music I wish I could do." I have heard 3 songs from his latest
     album, and have found them enjoyable as well, but they didn't seem to
     capture the feeling I got from his first album. Recommendations: _Seen
     One Earth_
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

     Good stuff, although Camel was better.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

Barnes & Barnes

     Fish-heads!  Classic video.  "Fish-heads -- they don't wear sweaters,
     they can't play drums."
          - James Martin <martin@cpsc.UCalgary.CA>

     have dr. demento in their back pocket. Or vice versa
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     "Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads Fish heads, fish heads,
     eat them up, yum!" For that song alone they will receive immortality in
     the music world (well, at least that part of the music world that
     listens to Dr. Demento.)
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     "Fishheads", great song, great video if you can find it. I think one of
     the members was Mr. Mumy who played little Will Robinson in Lost in
     Space.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

     A comedy staple in my collection.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Comical outfit with unique song "Fish Heads" to their credit. Bill Mumy
     participates.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Good band. Weird stuff.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     Oh no... not "Fish Heads"! I've had enough, thank you.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     What about Barnes and Noble?
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

Syd Barrett

     Creative genius! Good good good.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Founder of Pink Floyd, led on "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and one cut
     off "Saucerful of Secrets". Took too much acid, got weird and would
     start playing one chord over and over in concert, refusing to change,
     also tried to make a tuba player join the band as a regular member - so
     they kicked him out and got his guitar teacher David Gilmour instead.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     He was the leader of The Pink Floyd when the band originally formed. He
     wrote some very interesting and inventive music, and some people still
     consider the first Pink Floyd album to be the best in many ways. He then
     became impossible to deal with; he went insane, largely through dropping
     acid. The band first hired David Gilmour to augment Syd, then finally
     had to fire Syd -- I've heard that at some gigs he would just stand on
     stage and play one note all night. Some time after his firing, he
     recorded two solo albums: "Barrett" and "The Madcap Laughs". Opinions
     vary on these albums; some say they're inspired genius, others say they
     really indicate his insanity and are difficult to listen to after a few
     seconds.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

     Original member of Pink Floyd, largely responsible for off-kilter sound
     of "Bike" and "See Emily Play". Now a semi-famous nut/recluse.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     There's something vaguely funny about his _Barrett_ LP. Maybe it's the
     fact that someone is always getting off the beat. But the songwriting
     *is* clever. And to listen to Syd speak through a song like
     "Effervescing Elephant" with almost no breaks for breathing is
     remarkable. I still listen to this once in a while.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

Rob Base and DJ Eazy Rock

     "It takes Tewo" is ok, but Rob Base needs an ego transplant. He's full
     of himself.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     Their "Get on the Dance Floor" was a very inventive rap beat. We are
     waiting for Rob Base new album.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Bauhaus

     I consider Bauhaus one of the best bands from the punk era. I like the
     raw sound, and the haunting-ness of their music (such as "Bela Lugosi's
     Dead," and "The Passion of Lovers."
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     I got into gothic Music a couple of years ago, but quckly gave it up
     because Bauhaus was considered the standard, and I wasn't impressed by
     them. I really like "Hollow Hills", but I'd rather listen to Love And
     Rockets or Tones On Tail.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     yeah yeah yeah!! the ultimate art-rock gloom-and-doomers!! these guys
     were just too cool!! (they still are, they're just in different places
     now) "She's in Parties" is still a favorite song!!
          - joel metz mantis@ucscb.UCSC.EDU

Peter Baumann

     Liked his cover of "Strangers in the Night".
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     Ex Tangerine Dream person. I haven't heard any of his solo work.
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Ex-Tangerine Dream guy. Now owns the Private Music label.
          - Iain Smith & Jonathan Habrovitsky
          jhabrovi%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

BBC Radiophonic Workshop

     DR. WHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     Whhhrr Whhrr Zing boing.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Beatles

     Amazing to think they were together about 8 years and apart for 20.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     An interesting combination of pop and music. They had some really good
     stuff, some really bad stuff, some really strange stuff etc.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Cheap imitation of the Rutles. The Rutles were much better :-)
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Don't think that all these pop bands are original. The Beatles are still
     haunting them. And that's not a bad thing.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

     Great!!!! They are one of my favorite groups, and I still don't have
     anything by them. :-( I don't think I need to expand on their music.
     Recommendations: _Meet The Beatles_, _Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club
     Band_
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

     Hardly a cut in their catalogue that I don't enjoy listening to. Set the
     stage for groups doing their own thing in the studio. There is still
     nothing to compare with the excitement of playing a new Beatle release
     for the first time. Try to imagine Rubber Soul or Revolver in the
     context of pop/rock music of the mid-sixties.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     I think this was Paul McCartney's group before Wings, right? Didn't they
     have a piano player named Ron Lennon who got shot?
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     I'm quite tired of the "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "Twist and Shout"
     stuff, but I like their later work (_Sgt. Pepper_ and _Magical Mystery
     Tour_).
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     I'm still amazed when I listen to one of their albums, twenty-five years
     after the fact it *still* sounds pretty timeless. Neat trick.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Most people say that the Beatles were the most important, most
     influential rock group in history. I disagree; most of what the Beatles
     produced was not rock, but was in fact intelligent pop.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

     The Beatles produced great rock and roll music. They were the first
     group that I really 'got into', I collected almost all of their albums.
     I can still pull out Abbey Road and listen to it after hearing it so
     many times.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     The most influential pop outfit, ever. Styles ranged from slavish
     imitation of American R&B to having their hands in the invention of
     psychedelia, country rock, and the introduction of serious themes into
     rock.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     The only British band to have its own newsgroup.
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Sidney Bechet

     an acknowledged master of the jazz clarinet.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Jeff Beck

     Although Beck is universally hailed as one of the great guitarists of
     our day, he suffers from the inability to write songs.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

     Guitar hero of the old school. After the Yardbirds R&B, he went solo
     with blues- and later jazz-inflected rock. Often records instrumentals
     and has worked with Jan Hammer, Rod Stewart and Ron Wood.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Guitarist from hell.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     He used to rock out with Rod Stewart. Later he hooked up with Jan Hammer
     for "Wired" which is fantastic.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     His latest album has some good guitar work, fairly lame songwriting, and
     horribly stupid voice-overs and announcers. So stupid that I can't
     listen to it.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

     I like him in small doses.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

Joe Beck

     A jazz guitarist. When I was 8 yrs. old I had an album of Joe Beck
     playing electric guitar with some Spanish guy playing flamenco.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Harry Belafonte

     Deo!
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     He sang some real neat pop tunes. His wife is Miriam Makeba.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Love some of his 60's work, especially "Belafonte Returns to Carnegie
     Hall" and "Harry Belafonte and Miriam Makeba." His comeback album
     "Paradise in Ganazulu" (sp?) didn't work for me, though; I think his
     political goals of avoiding being in South Africa with the backing
     musicians sabotaged the performances.
          - Ken Josenhans 13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet

     My mother used to play his Carnegie Hall records for me when I was a
     child. The man could mold an audience. His songs were humorous and
     touching and optimistic. I highly recommend his two RCA Greatest Hits
     CDs, 33 songs in total.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Soulful crooner of calypso songs in late '50s/early '60s.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     That recent live album surprised me; the guy's got the chops! If you
     like jazz/pop vocalists he's still a man to listen to . . .
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Adrian Belew

     One of progressive rock's best guitarists. Played for King Crimson
     (guitar w/ Fripp and vocals), Talking Heads, Laurie Anderson, and more.
     Can make a guitar sound like anything he wants (including elephants,
     rhinos, etc). Solo work ranges from experimental ("Desire Caught by the
     Tail...") to pop ("Mr. Music Head"). On stage, he ranks as one of my
     favorite performers -- he is very into his music.
          - John Willmore jaw@esl.ESL.COM

Belgian Waffles

     sound experimentors. great sense of humour & use of obscure free form
     themes.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu
Maggie Bell

     A rough-edged rock singer, sort of a female Rod Stewart.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Teja Bell/Steve Kindler

     I have heard three songs by them, and like them very much. I can't wait
     to get the album _Dolphin Smiles_. Electronic and acoustic instruments.
     Bell plays guitar, and Kindler plays violin. Very soothing music.
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

     Steve Kindler was a violinist in the expanded "Visions of the Emerald
     Beyond" version of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Then he joined Jan Hammer's
     band. A very precise, tight careful style.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Pat Benatar

     A powerful singer with great chops.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Good stuff, but got too popular.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Her old records are pretty good.
          - Marylynn Orzeckowski discg1!istda11@bpa.bell-atl.com

     Meat & potatoes rocker, alternatings sex kitten postures with
     don't-fuck-with-me stances. Competent rock for teens.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Probably the worst thing would be a new release. It's over honey. Good
     stuff early 80s but boring concert. Too much eye makeup.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     She murdered Wutherring Heights.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

David Benoit

     One of the best and newest jazz artists. Very good new age jazz (I don't
     know what else to call it). He does an excellent version of the
     "Peanuts" theme entitled "Linus and Lucy". I really think this guy puts
     out excellent music. One his best songs is "The Key to You". Get it. I
     haven't heard the latest one "Winter into Spring" yet, but it is his
     first No. 1 album. Recommendations: _This End Up_, _Freedom at Midnight_
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

--
-Dave 	datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu
	....uwm!uwpvacs!datta