Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

EM Survey 4 (Part 04 of 19)

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 21 Feb 90 06:42:36 GMT
Subject: EM Survey 4 (Part 04 of 19)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uwm.edu

                Eclectic Music Survey #4 Results

Survey Posting                                      February 1990

Part 4 of 19 (Thru Kate Bush & David Gilmour)

Amin Bhatia

     Created "The Interstellar Suite", the soundtrack without a movie to go
     with. I consider it to be pretty good regardless. He's sort of an
     electronic Jerry Goldsmith.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

     His one and only album is fantastic if you want to hear what sounds like
     a sci-fi movie soundtrack. It's got an overture and everything. Starts
     on earth, blastoff, spacewalk, battle, and more. It's great. And it's
     all done on analog synthesizers too. Quite amazing. I believe it's his
     only album. Recommendations: _Interstellar Suite_
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

Matt Bianco

     Matt Bianco is a group
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     The first album (Who's Side Are You On?) was the best. They went
     downhill after Basia left. Their lastest album is disco fluff.
          - Brad Crafton bdcrafton@dahlia.waterloo.edu

     Wrote some of the best 1988 House Music themes, specially those re-mixed
     by Phil Harding.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Big Black

     intense drum machine versus feedback guitar and chicago angst vocals.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Big Daddy Kane

     Great NYC Rapper. I love almost all his songs.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Eric Bikales

     I have heard a tape of his first album _Energy_, and felt somewhat
     hesitant with it. The first and last songs I really like, but the songs
     in the middle didn't really do much for me. I would call it lite
     synth/pop/jazz. I think with a bit more time, this album could have been
     quite good. There just seems to be some sort of complexity missing. I
     really would like to hear his latest album.
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

Birdsongs of the Mesozoic

     Former members of Mission of Burma got together to make weird noise,
     electric version of Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" etc. Then Roger Miller
     left.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Only have one album, "Magnetic Flip". Then again, they only made 3
     albums, and 1 CD compilation. They're New Age, New Wave, Punk, and a
     touch of Classical all rolled into one.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

     They have been categorized as "Punk jazz classical car-wreck music." Not
     a bad description. All instrumental. I like their first eponymously
     titled CD the best, but it's hard to listen to all the way through. I
     like to program about ten tracks pseudo-randomly. Ranges from
     hard-rocking to Philip Glass-styled repetitive pieces. They make good
     use of polyrhythm, phase changes, and repetition.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

Blaze

     A group of 3 remixers from NYC. Theirs mixes are always among the bests
     in the world. They have the secret of a hot, funky-like dance tempo.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Serge Blenner

     A bit like Jean Michel Jarre I believe. Can't say I've heard anything by
     him yet, but he's on my shortlist of people to investigate.
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Swiss "Newage" type music. Similar in some ways to Jean-Michel Jarre.
          - Iain Smith & Jonathan Habrovitsky
          jhabrovi%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     What some might describe as "New Age" but I won't because the term is
     overused. "Nice" bouncy electronic music. Is "Muzak" the right word?
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Carla Bley

     A great jazz pianist/composer/arranger who got lots of real big names to
     play on her albums. Can't remember any album names offhand but it's all
     good.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     In 1978 a live show with her big band blew me away. My favorite album
     from that period: "Dinner Music". I have not kept up with her.
          - Ken Josenhans 13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet

Kurtis Blow

     one of the earlier new york rappers. this still holds up a decade later.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Blue Oyster

     First two albums are very heavy but patchy; "Secret Treaties" their
     third is the best example of their classic sound. "Agents of Fortune"
     (contains 'The Reaper') is their most rounded album. Next two or three
     albums are fairly disappointing. Recent album "Imaginos" is an excellent
     fusion of their early inventiveness and a modern, commercial approach.
          - Iain Smith & Jonathan Habrovitsky
          jhabrovi%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
     some great rock and roll.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     If so, then they are good, and outside of the mainstream so they don't
     become boring monotonous repititions of the same old formula for
     popularity.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     (Blue Oyster Cult I assume) I like a few of their songs, but in general
     I'm not impressed.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     Cult? If so, guitar-driven rock with overlay of naive mysticism. Plays
     small clubs as Soft White Underbelly.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Cult? _Don't Fear the Reaper_ was a great song.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     I think this is "Blue Oyster Cult"?
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Bon Jovi

     Anyone who dumps Julie Brown can't have much for brains.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     Bruce Springsteen heavy metal wanna-bes.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     He's basically doing the same things Peter Frampton did way back when,
     except he's not as good at it.
          - rmiller@sbcs.sunysb.edu

     I can't understand why they are as popular as they now are. They don't
     write tremendously original songs. I do like a few of their songs, but
     I can't sit through a whole album. As far as metal goes, they don't
     compare to the early albums of 'Black Sabbath' or 'Van Halen' (somewhat
     metal). Maybe they are just too polished or overproduced for my tastes.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     I like one or two songs. Maybe. Don't tell anybody.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     one of the more obnoxious and forgettable teeny-bopper acts.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Perfecters of pop-metal currently burning up the charts. Dangerous and
     wholesome at the same time, with well-crafted radio fodder.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     seems to be the 2nd hottest act after the New Kids on the Block at top
     40 stations in New York City. I like "Livin on a Prayer " and runaway.
     Used to live on Robin Hood Dr. in Sayreville. Bought his parents a house
     near Holmdel and bought himself one in Rumson. MTV gave away the house
     in Sayreville.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     Should be cast into the Tenth Circle of Hell, reserved for pop-heavy
     metal bands (actually, there are some nice guitar riffs on a few of
     their songs, but they have no substance).
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     Yawn. I hope Jon Bon Jovi's marraige will decrease their popularity so
     we don't have to listen to them anymore.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

Bongwater

     droning endless 6Ts psychadelic retro. i cant take it any more. but they
     do sing led zeppelins _dazed & confused_ in chinese.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Boogie Down Productions

     rap verging on hip hop. some great tuz: _who protects us from you_, but
     not quite living up to his ego.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Gary Brooker

     The man behind the sound of Procol Harum. Interesting solo recordings
     especially Lead Me To The Water. Recorded in 1982 with the help of Phil
     Collins, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Chris Stainton and more.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

Book of Love

     Another band that everyone seems to love that does nothing for me.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     Art-school-educated dance/synth band. Much better than disco.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

     Breathy erethrodancepop, lots of fun but I think that like Frankie Goes
     To Hollywood, most of their strength is in who's producing them (Trevor
     Horn for FGTH, Ivan Ivan for BoL).
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Boomtown Rats

     "I don't like mondays" is great, haven't heard much else.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Helped make my Mondays tolerable!
          - David Caldwell macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
     Launching pad of Bob Geldof. Adequately snotty pop.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Produced some rather interesting music before they broke up and Bob
     Geldof got the urge to save the world.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Quite an interesting group. I was wondering about any albums since MONDO
     BONGO - what are they and how are they in comparison. One strange thing
     about their first two albums is that they changed labels and put two
     songs from their first album on the second one. Anyone know the rational
     for that?
          - Neil Ottenstein OTTEN@UMCINCOM.BitNet

     The funny thing about this band is that they were good. Some great songs
     you've probably heard, like "I Don't Like Mondays" and "Diamond Smiles".
     But they just couldn't break through in the States. I think they were
     really good straightforward new wave music. I've even seen them twice.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

     the lead singer Bob Geldorf was the star of Pink Floyd's "The Wall"
     movie and he also led the "We Are the World" thing. Boomtown Rats big
     hit was "I Don't Like Mondays". I think the Bangles did a cover that
     became a hit.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

David Bowie

     A rock innovator. He shows incredible variation of music styles in his
     many albums.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     Godlike. "The Man Who Sold the World" is his best, along with "The Rise
     and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars". He started the
     "glitter rock" phase, in the 1970's, along with the New York Dolls and
     Mott the Hoople. He's done lots of other stuff since then.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Has returned from the wilderness. If Bowie can go from Tonight to Tin
     Machine then there may still be hope for all the other dinosaurs.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Protean genius capable of inhabiting several personae and using them as
     platforms for creating cutting-edge rock at several different times.
     Gives outstanding live shows with heavy theatrical content.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Somewhere between great and terrible.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     The best thing he ever did was re-record "Space Oddity" for the B-side
     of his "Alabama Song" single, which is the second best thing he ever
     did. And then there is his _Hunky Dory_ LP, which is also quite good.
     And half of his _Scary Monsters_ LP is fine fine fine, especially the
     unbelievable (and probably unplayable) guitar solos by Robert Fripp.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

Lester Bowie

     ex art ensemble of chicago jazz trumpeter. does a great cover of _howdy
     doody time_.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Liona Boyd

     Sensitive guitarist who shouldn't waste her time with pop music or
     vocals. And a Canadian.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

Billy Bragg

     working class british pseudo activist. he started out with a purpose but
     has graduated to full orchestration production. the earlier the better.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Kevin Braheny

     All I have by him is his works with Steve Roach and Michael Stearns on
     _Desert Solitaire_. This album is very well-crafted space music, and I
     would highly recommend it.
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

Michael Brecker

     almost too tom scott-ish sax player.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Edie Brickell and New Bohemians

     Very refreshing sound; probably progressive or at least postmodern. The
     songs tend to be catchy.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Julie Brown

     As in "The Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun" and "Earth Girls Are Easy"?
     Hilarious. Yet another reason for listening to Dr. Demento...
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Didn't she do "Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun?" Other than that, I haven't
     heard anything. It was ... amusing.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     She actually had the idea for the film _Earth Girls Are Easy_ at least
     as early as 1982, when the idea appeared as a fake newspaper column on
     the back of her "I Like 'Em Big & Stupid" 12-inch. The B-side to that
     single was the incomparable "Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun" ("Johnny?
     Who's Johnny?). She's funny, but also can be horrendously annoying, and
     she knows it. How else would she be able to stay on MTV?
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

Jackson Browne

     Lawyers in Love is incredible. It gets better with age.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     The epitome of the "sensitive singer/songwriter". Earnest as all hell,
     but often boring after his first few albums.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Dave Brubeck

     Mr Interesting Time Signature. A very cool listening choice among the
     "good music" snobs of my high school.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

Dave Brubeck Quartet

     Responsible for "Take Five" and "Blue Rondo a la Turk", jazz favorites
     for people like me who aren't really jazz fans.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Was his early 50's stuff recorded in a trash can or what? But I guess it
     doesn't matter.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

Bill Bruford

     Original drummer for Yes. Also worked with King Crimson. Made a few solo
     albums, haven't heard them.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

     The best drummer I can think of. Period. Check out his playing on King
     Crimson's _Larks Tongues in Aspic_, _Discipline_, and _Three of a
     Perfect Pair_, among others. Also check out the drumming on UK's
     eponymously titled LP, the Earthworks LPs, and his few hard-to-find solo
     LPs.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

     The one, the original progressive-rock/fusion drummer. Accept no
     imitations. If you haven't already got some of his solo works, as well
     as his collaborations with P. Moraz, UK's first album, etc., go out and
     buy them now.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Well-respected percussionist who goes way beyond keeping the beat. Bangs
     on a whole lot of things besides the regulation rock drumkit.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Buggles
     "Video killed the radio star". Good song, also spawned some other
     groups.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     'Video Killed The Radio Star' was the first single I ever bought. They
     were 'absorbed' by Yes just before Yes disbanded, I think. Trevor Horn
     became a producer and Geoffrey Downes went on to join Asia and record
     solo stuff too.
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Bit of trivia: the first MTV video was Buggles, "Video Killed the Radio
     Star." Don't you feel priveleged to know that??
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     Hey! There's that nasty ol' Trevor Horn again! Pretty much defines New
     Wave, at least AGE OF PLASTIC does. All those songs about computers and
     shit. Kids today are already laughing at the fact that we listened to
     this stuff . . .
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Nerd rock too smart for its own good. Infamous for MTV's very first
     video shown, "Video Killed the Radio Star".
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     One of the better bands of the late 70s. Lots of good vocals by Trevor
     Horn and keyboard playing by Geoff Downes. The Buggles disappeared from
     the music scene ~1979 when Downes and Horn were hired by Yes as
     replacements for Wakeman&Anderson; Yes's _Drama_ album features their
     work, and is also well worth listening to.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Their "Living in the Plastic Age" single had some terrific lyrics. "They
     send the heart police to put you under cardiac arrest" - all about
     plastic surgery and suchlike. Plastic pop music, but none the worse for
     that.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Their song, "Video Killed the Radio Star" was the first played on MTV!
     They were very interesting to listen to kind of industrial.
          - David Caldwell macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

     Video killed is still a great tune. Makes me sad though.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     _Living in the Plastic Age_ (or is it now called _The Age of Plastic_)
     is a great album, full of good pop music, with inventive and interesting
     production. But it's full of hiss. I can't listen to it any more. Damn.
          - John M. Relph relph@presto.ig.com

Richard Burmer

     "Across The View" used to be my favorite New Age piece. It is a very
     beautiful and moving piece. I was slightly disappointed with _On The
     Third Extreme_. The songs are really good, but they just tend to do a
     lot of repeating. You basically get the same 8 or so measures through
     the whole song, with more voices being layered on top of it every so
     often.
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

Kate Bush & David Gilmour

     An interesting mix; I think they work well together.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     As embarrasing as it is, I can't place what they did together.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     I really like her stuff, I guess because I'm impressed by originality.
     It's kind of annoying when people I know ask me how I can stand
     listening to her "whiney" voice so much... but I guess it's a matter of
     taste. As good as _The Sensual World_ is, _The Kick Inside_ is still my
     favorite Kate Bush album.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     KATE BUSH IS GOD! DG proves he is a great supporting artist.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

--
-Dave 	datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu
	....uwm!uwpvacs!datta