Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

non-Kate items

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 90 03:19:21 EST
Subject: non-Kate items

Vickie here, non-Kate items below:

>From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
>Vickie again.
>>> From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu (Neil Calton)
>>> MARY COUGHLIN-Tired & Emotional
>>> It's good to hear someone promoting Mary Coughlin. I strongly urge
>>> Love-hounds to check her out. Great for late night listening. There
>>> is a second album called "Under the Influence" which includes a great
>>> version of "Ride On". Both albums highly recommended. Both are also
>>> available on CD - at least over here. It has been a long time since
>>> the second album came out so maybe there is another one due.
>
>> I can't let this go by. Neil, you ruined my day. You know that don't
>> you? MARY HAS A SECOND ALBUM?????? I had no idea. I'm even more upset
>> to know that it's been out for quite a while and I didn't know. I
>> guess it hasn't been released in the US.

> Well if I tell you that a third album should be out about March time
> will that make you feel better or worse?

Worse! She has no business releasing albums unless she sends me a copy
personally signed :-) After all, I *may be* the only radio programmer in the
entire United States who plays her. Regularly.
Did you know that she's in a wretched film called "High Spirits" with
Peter O'Toole? Her part is fun and she's onscreen a lot, but seems to
disappear within seconds. She plays the harp in one scene but it's in the
background and characters are talking over her music. The movie is awful,
really awful, but I suffered through it just to see her (and Peter O'Toole,
he's always fun to watch). She seemed very comfortable onscreen, which makes
me think that it wasn't her first acting role.

>> I......almost.....gave a tape to Katarina Witt, my all-time favorite
>> female skater (B. Orser's my favorite guy too), but I chickened out
>> again. Cluck, cluck.

> Yea, KaTarina is great. What has happened to women skaters though - in the
> European championships last week all the top four female skaters
> fell during their free programme. Come to think of it so did a number
> of the top pairs skaters. And why do the Duchenays (sp?) get such
> lousey marks while the Russians do the same old dance routines they
> have been doing for the last 10 years and pick up near maximums?

I don't know what the problem is. I missed the Europeans, if it's been on
TV I didn't catch it-who won?
They better have their act together by next year so we'll know who to root
for at the Olympics. Was that wonderful Japanese skater at the Europeans?
I think her name is Midori Ito.
The Duchenays (I'm not sure about the spelling either and I'm too lazy to
go dig out my videotapes) are excellent! They're always creative and very
interesting. They are following in Torvill & Dean's footsteps (in that they
are trying to be different and artistic) and the judges don't like that.
See, the judges didn't like Torvill & Dean's style either, but they were
able to get away with everything they did simply because they are the BEST.
The judges HAD to give T&D high scores but they are going to discourage
anyone else from trying to go in the direction that T&D wanted to take
ice dancing in. "Tradition" rules again.

>> katefans@world.std.com is the only address we have. We seem to get
>> mail OK, but have had a VERY hard time sending mail. So many letters
>> have bounced and we can't figure out why.
>> Neil, our letter to you bounced.

> What network are you connected to? What address did you try. I will
> try sending you mail.

We're on Internet through World in Boston. We tried nbc@uk.ac.rl.inf
Bounced big time.  We got your letter (btw, re Mary, YES!!) and I'll
keep trying. We have been able to get some e-mail out so I don't know
what the problem is.

> From: mendel@CS.UIUC.EDU (Michael Mendelson)
> Subject: TnT

> I noticed today that Tanita Tikaram has a new album out.
> Has anyone listened to it?  Any good?  How does it compare
> to her first album?

I just bought this so I'm not familiar with it yet, but it's very much
like her first. Some of the vocals are unusual (one song sounds as
if she's going to burst into tears at any second) and I'm not sure I mean
that in a complimentary way. I didn't like Ancient Heart at first either
(except for "Twist..." which is one of the all-time greatest songs ever
(after KateJanePeter's, of course)) and it took a while to come to like it,
so I'll not pass judgement on this one yet.  Not much help, but at least you
know that she didn't turn into Fiona or Kylie.

I just bought an album by a group called The Sundays. Has anyone else
heard this group? I know they were "the-next-big-thing" in England a few
months ago. I like them but influences are rampant. I won't mention any
because I'd like to hear other people's thoughts. It's an import now
but it's supposed to be released in the states shortly.

Did anyone else see Shawn Colvin on David Letterman a few nights ago?
We were switching channels and came in on the last 30 seconds of the
song (Steady On) :-(

I just learned from IED that Sheila Chandra has a new album out! In the
stores. Right now. Right this very minute. There it is, sitting in a Tower
Records in LAX, saying "Buy me, buy me, I will make your life better. I will
make you happy. I will give you bliss" Here I am, sitting in Kansas City
saying ":-(  We don't have a Tower here :-(" O woe is me.

Did anyone see Aster Aweke on David Sandborn's Night Music a few weeks ago?
It was the same show that the Kronos Quartet were on. She was on near the
end (if she was on earlier then I missed it. I'd like to know if she did
play earlier) and was mesmerising. All I know about her is that she's from
Ethiopia and I think she lives in the US now. It's impossible (for me) to
describe what she sounds like except that she had extremely powerful and
haunting vocals, singing in Ethiopian (?). She sent chills up my spine!
A World Music programmer on KKFI went to London last year and brought back
a tape of her music. I haven't been able to get a dub from her so I think
I'll just tape the audio from the video. Can anyone supply any information
about her? I'd be ever so greatful, especially if someone knows where I
might get her album(s).
Night Music is such a interesting show. In recent weeks Mary Margaret O'Hara,
Julee Cruise, Karen Mantler & Carla Bley, Diamanda Galas, Aster Aweke, Abby
Lincoln, Clara Rockmore and Maria McKee have been on.
Also Todd Rundgren, Kronos Quartet, Van Dyke Parks and lots of other people
that I can't remember at this exact moment. It's syndicated so look for it.

Later...

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com