Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Various and sundry.

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 90 03:18:48 EST
Subject: Various and sundry.

Vickie here.

> From: Andrew Marvick (IED)
> Subject: The _Electronics_&_Music_Maker_ interview (fall 1982)

>  This version of the interview is an edition of a version re-printed
> _Break-Through_ Issue No. 4 (April/May 1984). The interview originally
> appeared in the October 1982 issue of _Electronics_and_Music_Maker_.
> Unfortunately the interviewer's name was not given in _Break-Through_'s
> edition, and IED has never seen the original, so he cannot identify
> the interviewer.

I have an original copy of this article (not just a photocopy) and the
interviewer's name is not given anywhere that I could find. Dale was
pretty good at giving credit so he probably couldn't find it either.

Speaking of Breakthrough...
   Doug, I promise I won't make a habit of posting stuff from Breakthrough
but I was looking through one of the old issues and came across this letter
that made me gasp in astonishment.

***** This is from the April/May * 1984 * issue of Breakthrough *****
                                   ^^^^
From: Cortina Bandolero
      Phoenix, AZ

Dear Dale and cohorts at Breakthrough,

  Here in Phoenix there is quite a sizable awareness of Kate. This would
be an ideal city for EMI to sponser a "Bush Bash". There are import stores
here where the import LPs, the Hammersmith-Odeon video and the 45 Box Set
can be readily found. Also there's a small but loyally followed radio
station, KSTM, which isn't averse to playing Kate's songs. In * 1982 * when
local DJ (name deleted) was at KSTM, he aired an hour of Kate's rarities
which included some of her very early solo-piano work. He had worked for
EMI at the time of Kate's initial signing, and aquired the tapes then.
There were some real surprises for collectors, including an altered version
of Hammer Horror and another song with a refrain about "playing canasta in
cold rooms." Does anyone know anything about this rare song? ...Now I'm off
to write the KB club!

She was talking about the CATHY DEMOS!!! They were in the US in 1982!!!
Isn't it horrible that poor Cortina unknowingly was responsible for getting
this DJ into trouble? (btw, I deleted the name, no need to add to the fire)
Amazing that it took till 1988 for them to get distributed. Anyway, I thought
that was interesting.