Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: xtc

From: stewarte@sco.COM (cutting edge is sharp, avoid contact)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 90 18:24:06 -0800
Subject: Re: xtc
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

mendel@CS.UIUC.EDU (Michael Mendelson) will no doubt deny ever having said:
>I just saw an English Settlement CD (one, not two) which claimed to
>have the "entire contents of the double-LP" on it.  Were they lying,
>or is there a CD which has the whole album on it?  (I did not notice
>the company or anything else, but I don't think it was an import.)
>Wouldn't this be false advertising if as someone pointed out the
>domestic release omits a couple of tracks?

English Settlement has suffered much abuse, especially considering
what a great album it is.  The original UK vinyl version was 2 lps;
the US (Epic) version was trimmed down to one, by the exclusion of about
5 tracks.  Geffen later acquired US rights, and rereleased ES as a
double LP.  But you knew all that, right?

So eventually Virgin UK issued ES in CD form.  At the time, the accepted
maximum length of a CD was less than it is now, so they had to trim
two tracks ("Leisure" and "Down in the Cockpit") to fit it on CD.
By the time Geffen finally got around to releasing it on CD, the max
length was greater, and there was no excuse to not release the whole
thing.  So all Geffen CDs of English Settlement are complete.

-- Stewart
--
"They have no word for 'shake'."
				-- Tracy Roberts