Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sat In Your Lap - revisited

From: Douglas MacGowan <MACGOWAN@NIC.DDN.MIL>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 90 19:54:26 PST
Subject: Sat In Your Lap - revisited

I asked this a little while ago, but I think in the flurry of TSW
excitement, it got kind of lost in the shuffle.

Kate has admittedly said that the tracks on TSW are individual
"stories" - and many of her songs are just that -- tales of love,
tales of strangeness, or usual things looked at from a different
perspective.  There are no songs of hers where I don't have some idea
of what it is about.  With one exception.

What the heck is "Sat In Your Lap" about?

I don't have a clue as to what is happening in this song, and since it
is one of my favorites, I would like to have some idea what the thing
is about.

In the KB Fan Club Newsletter write-up she did for The Dreaming album,
she never really explained what it was about, just parts of how it was
done and how it was changed from the original single track.

I have heard vague comments saying the song is about modern culture,
the inability to fit in, etc.  But nobody has ever really clearly
explained the meaning of phrases like "just when I think I'm king - I
just begin" and "some say knowledge is something sat in your lap".

I appeal to those wiser than me to give me some interpretations of
this song - although I don't want to start anything :-).

Please.  Let me be able to sleep at night....

Douglas MacGowan
MACGOWAN@NIC.DDN.MIL

"I worry that the people who thought up Muzak are busy thinking up
something else." - Lily Tomlin
-------