Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sat In Your Lap - revisited

From: jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (one two stupid three four dumb)
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 90 12:28:04 -0500
Subject: Re: Sat In Your Lap - revisited
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

This is one of my all time favorite KT songs, but I still don't
profess to have any absolute definition for the lyrics.  I think it's
about bogus spirituality and the futility of attempting to achieve
anything worthwhile without great personal effort/sacrifice.  "I want
to be a scholar, but I really can't be bothered."  You see?  The
speaker desires something (knowledge) but won't work for it.  Thus,
"some say that knowledge is something sat in your lap."  She hopes it
will just come to her without any effort.

"I've been doing it for years, my goal is moving near
It says 'look i'm over here' then it up and disappears."

She keeps thinking she's close to the end of her quest, but she'll
never get to the end because she can't make the effort.  The deception
is her fault.

"In my dome of ivory; a home of activity
I want the answers quickly, but I don't have no energy."

This should be pretty clear, if you subscribe to the rest of my
theory.  She won't exert herself, and thus will never get anywhere.
Kate said that she wanted the song to sound like someone on top of a
windy hill - the fool on the hill, shouting into the wind, feeling
self-pity without good reason.

It's actually a kind of negative song, probably why I like it so much.
Also, I can relate to the narrator - I want the answers quickly, but I
don't have no energy!! (note the incorrect grammar - this is a
brilliant stroke on Kate's part, showing the false learning which the
narrator is stuck with...  i'm in awe...)

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu |      "Suck on this,                     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |       planet of noise bimbo!"           |