Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate, Michael Penn -- Synchronicity

From: Jon Drukman@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Now it BEGINS!)
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 90 16:29:17 -0500
Subject: Re: Kate, Michael Penn -- Synchronicity

In article <2269@se-sd.NCR.COM> ewing@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Ewing) writes:
>I haven't heard Penn's new album, but I STRONGLY recommend
>any old Doll Congress material that you can find.

My editor gave me a copy of Penn's new album (titled "March") and I
find it to be rather unremarkable.  There's one decent song on it ("No
Myth" - which mentions Heathcliffe - can this be MORE THAN JUST A MERE
COINCIDENCE?  I say NAY!) but the rest is sorta dullish
Beatlesesque-cum-Bob-Dylan pop with very little new to say.  "No Myth"
has some great hooks, though I got bored of it pretty darn quick.  In
my review I said, "It's by no means appalling.  There are a million
worse things you could spend your money on, and probably a million
better things as well." Let me take this opportunity to tell plug one
of my preferred million better things - Negativland.  Their latest
album, "Helter Stupid" is a brilliant collage of noise indicting the
media and pop music.  Don't be dumb!  Buy or die!

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu |      "Suck on this,                     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |       planet of noise bimbo!"           |