Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate, Michael Penn -- Synchronicity

From: ewing@se-sd.NCR.COM (David Ewing)
Date: 3 Jan 90 20:05:47 GMT
Subject: Kate, Michael Penn -- Synchronicity
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

As many of you have mentioned, MTV has been highlighting
Kate lately along with a few other artists (I can't remember
how they are categorizing them).  One of the artists grouped
with Kate is Michael Penn.

Talk about synchronicity !  I used to see a great band from
L.A. called Doll Congress (circa 1982-84) playing occassionally
down here in San Diego.  The band was led by Michael Penn and
included a wonderful female singer named Gabriel Morgan.  They
sounded somewhat like Slapp Happy, only much more interesting.
After the first show of theirs that I saw, I was talking to
the keyboard player (Patrick Warren, who is apparently the only
remaining musician from Doll Congress still with Penn).  I
asked what music he had been into lately, and he strongly
recommended "The Dreaming".  I purchased it shortly thereafter,
and became a Kate fanatic.

MTV had a little spot on Michael Penn about a week ago.  It
was a brief interview with Penn and Warren.  Among other
things they discussed Warren's old Chamberlain keyboard
(a great instrument, the precursor to the mellotron).

I haven't heard Penn's new album, but I STRONGLY recommend
any old Doll Congress material that you can find.  I
believe they put out at least two EPs on Enigma.  I may
purchase the record just as a partial repayment for turning
me on to Kate Bush.

I discovered years later that Penn is Sean Penn's brother.
His band (not Doll Congress) appeared on Saturday Night Live
when Sean Penn hosted it a few years ago.  They didn't
sound as good as Doll Congress, but it was just one quick
listen.

Dave Ewing
ewing@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com