Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: new David Sylvian 12"?

From: wingard@Columbia.NCR.COM
Date: 20 Dec 89 18:52:52 GMT
Subject: Re: new David Sylvian 12"?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM

In article <574@west.West.Sun.COM> rar@balungan.West.Sun.COM
     (Rob Rosen - N/W Region Consulting) writes:

>	Anyone heard the new Sylvian 12"?  It contains three new
>poppish songs, apparently.  Of somewhat more interest (aside from the
>negative of the naked woman on the cover) is the small print on the
>flip side which mentions a soon-to-be-released '5 CD set' containing
>some of Sylvian's work 'never before released on CD.'

The new Sylvian single (it's in 3" CD too) is called _Pop_Song_.  The
three tracks are "Pop Song", "A Brief Conversation Ending in Divorce",
and "The Stigma of Childhood".   I don't know if I'd call the material
"poppish", really;  the second two tracks are instrumentals that sound
(to me, anyway) very similar to the kinds of Synclavier noodling that
Frank Zappa did on his _Jazz_from_Hell_ album.  The title track has
some of the same Synclavier sound, but since it's got lyrics there's
more of a melody to hook onto.  According to the person behind the
counter at my record store, the Sylvian box set should be available
any week now... and it costs $70 (ow!).  "Pop Song" will NOT be in the
box set, according to him.  (Course, he COULD have just been prodding me
to buy the CD single now.  Between it and the used copy of Mick Karn's
_Dreams_of_Reason_Produce_Monsters_ that I got for $10, I've got enough
to listen to until the box set comes out.)

--
Steve Wingard				wingard@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM
NCR Corporation, E&M-Columbia		gatech!ncrats!ncrcae!wingard