Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"The Kick Inside"/"Don't Push..." inquiries...

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: 10 Mar 90 11:02:51 GMT
Subject: "The Kick Inside"/"Don't Push..." inquiries...
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

--------
> From: n8344141@unicorn.wwu.edu (paul carpentier)

> While drinking Renton, Washington Coffee, a former KateHouse visitor
> asked me if the song "The Kick Inside" was a suicide note, probably
> from the perspective of the female who was incestuously impregnated.

It is indeed.  In fact it is based on a traditional folk song with the
same story line.

> He also asked if "Don't Push Your Foot on the Heartbrake", or any part
> of it, was about Emma slashing her wrists.

Gee, your friend is obsessed with suicide, eh?  Who can tell what the
"red, red glass is bleeding" refers to?  I don't think the
wrist-slashing interpretation makes sense, though.  "But she's so
O.D.'d on weeping/ She can hardly see,/ That she's dropping beads,/
(Red, red glass is bleeding)" If she slashed her wrists, how could she
not know that she was bleeding?  It seems to me more likely that the
bleeding is a metaphor for her losing her life energy.

|>oug

"S is for SUSAN who perished of fits"