Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TSW and TWW

From: Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 89 13:18:10 -0600
Subject: TSW and TWW

I don't know about the rest of you, but so far, every Kate Bush album
I've ever heard has taken me lots of listenings and lots of patience to
even begin to fully appreciate.  It seems to me that many folks around
LH is so aroused at the appearence of new Kate music, that they'll
jumping around like rabid dogs, making snap judgments and propheting
premature gloom and doom.

Let me just take this moment to remind everyone that this is *Kate
Bush* we're dealing with here, the queen of the song that gets better
with age.  From past experience, I know that it is often the song to
which I react least favorably at the outset which inevitably becomes
the most endearing (enduring?).

TSW has been no exception.  Initially, I was not all that impressed by
side one, but perfectly enamoured by side two.  I still love side two,
but am quickly growing *very* fond of side one as well.  With the
exception of HWD, I can now listen to the whole album and be wholly
satisfied.  In particular, the two seemingly most criticized works, LaA
and RO, are among my favorite songs on the album, contrary to my first
impression (with lots of thanks to IED for opeing up a completely new
aura w.r.t. RO -- this is the kind of insight which makes poring
through the mounds of verbal flatulence in LH worth the time -- I think).

I also am very impressed with the import CD singles, and in particular
with the TWW single (10 minutes of pure bliss -- I actually think that
NTT is almost a throw back to the TD/HoL era more than any other song
released in 1989 -- has anyone else felt that?) and the instrumental
version of TSW.  And I think WSDTM is another gem.

So let's not be too hasty in judging TSW.  Resist the temptation to
lambast on the chance that you *might just* be missing something that
another ten listenings will suddenly, mysteriously -- downright
shockingly -- reveal.
			        			.

						"No pinky ring hustlers,
						 No sabre-tooth neighbours"