Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TWW single, "I'm Still Waiting"

From: halley!steve@cs.utexas.edu (Steve Williams)
Date: 7 Dec 89 14:39:39 GMT
Subject: TWW single, "I'm Still Waiting"
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In his usual light-handed style, Jon Drukman writes:
>.......................................  Several of my friends have
>been able to provide me with solid reasons why "I'm Still Waiting"
>sucks doggie dirt (to their minds at least)
>
>Now, has anybody else out there got the This Woman's Work single yet?

Of course we've got it.  We were all just waiting until the flames
cooled down enough to make the subject safe to approach.

I disagree completely with your original assessment of "I'm Still
Waiting", finding it to be the strongest number among the recent
releases (the new album, the remixed TWW, Be Kind...).  It's also rough
around the edges, but it IS a B-side, after all.  Isn't that what
B-sides are often for?  To give the artist a chance to release something
that's either not quite "finished", a little risky, or something that
just didn't fit with the rest of an album release.  This particular song
sounds to me like something done around the time of HOL.

Like I said, I think it's the best song Kate's released lately.  It
kills me the first time she sings the low, rolling, hoarse growls of
"waitin'" and "wailin'" in:

   'Cos I'm still waitin'
   Well, baby I'm still wailin'

And that grinding, stuttering screech near the end is definitely the
Kate we all know and love.

Your original blast at the song was so far off-base (Wish I'd kept the
posting, but it's long gone) that I suspect you were just trying to
stir up some action.  Sorry I didn't call you any names or tell you
how stupid you are, but this is the best I can do.

Steve Williams               ...!cs.utexas.edu!halley!steve
Tandem Computers                (512)-244-8252