Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TWW single, "I'm Still Waiting"

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 12:52:19 EST
Subject: Re: TWW single, "I'm Still Waiting"

In article <635@halley.UUCP> halley!steve@cs.utexas.edu (Steve Williams) writes:
>I disagree completely with your original assessment of "I'm Still
>Waiting", finding it to be the strongest number among the recent
>releases (the new album, the remixed TWW, Be Kind...).  It's also rough
>around the edges, but it IS a B-side, after all.  Isn't that what
>B-sides are often for?  To give the artist a chance to release something
>that's either not quite "finished", a little risky, or something that
>just didn't fit with the rest of an album release.  This particular song
>sounds to me like something done around the time of HOL.

I never attacked "I'm Still Waiting" on the basis of the production.
I personally don't find it to be rough around the edges.  Obviously
it's just piano and Fairlight (and maybe real bass?  it's hard to tell
with samples being as good as they are nowadays), but that certainly
doesn't mean it should be deemed "rough."  In fact, I think it's too
smooth.

My main complaint is the upbeat chorus which comes crashing in on top
of the moody intro and verse with no subtlety whatsoever.  After a
great mysterious opening, Kate just tosses it all into the rubbish
bin for another stab at an "anthemic" feel, just like "Reaching Out."
In fact, |>oug (and now myself) have taken to calling this track
"Reaching Out" done right.  But "Reaching Out" done right is still
just passable trash.

What can I say?  I hate anthems.  "Not This Time" suffered in my
eyes for exactly the same reason.
>Your original blast at the song was so far off-base (Wish I'd kept the
>posting, but it's long gone) that I suspect you were just trying to
>stir up some action.  Sorry I didn't call you any names or tell you
>how stupid you are, but this is the best I can do.

If I weren't laughing so hard, I'd be really furious at you.  I NEVER
(well, hardly ever) write what I write just to "stir up some action"
as you so condescendingly put it.  And anyway, it is impossible to be
off-base in a review of music.  You either hear the piece the same way
I do or you don't.  Obviously we know which way you're swinging.
Personally, I don't care.  I do appreciate your comments anyway.  I
find it fascinating what a range of diverse opinion Kate can stir up.

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu |      "Suck on this,                     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |       planet of noise bimbo!"           |