Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lets Talk Music (longish)

From: beyer@frith.egr.msu.edu (Don W Beyer)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 21:23:52 EST
Subject: Re: Lets Talk Music (longish)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I am glad to hear from someone else who concedes that (gasp) TSW was not
worth the four (two...who cares) wait!  I guess I can come out of my
closet now, and put in my $0.02 worth:

I find _The Sensual World_ to be rather hyped.  I bought this CD over
two weeks after it's release date, becuase after hearing the TSW single,
I was not impressed.  In fact, I bought this album only because I have
all of her others--almost entirely for the sake of continuity.  My fave
KT album is still, and from the looks of it, always will be, _The
Dreaming_.  While I agree that one must look at a work of art
individually, TSW is truly going to live in the shadow of Kate's
earlier works.

I find it interesting that all the talk on this group has shifted from
rather reasonable (or unreasonable :-)) and philosophical talk about
Kate's music to her VH-1 Itenerary (If that alone doesn't tell you
about the state of her art, I don't know what does!) and where the
bonehead engineers put the laugh on the CD.  How could those poor
fellows (gals) have known that the sleep patterns of all English
speaking nations would hang upon where they put that all-important
laugh.  Not that I don't find it interesting, but I really doubt that
it deserved soooo much bandwidth--must be the EE in me...

Perhaps we should form a new group for those who will staunchly defend
TSW from any form of criticism whatsoever and call it
rec.music.seedcake.  That way, us poor simps who were slightly
disappointed by TSW can resume the discussions that I found so
refreshing and interesting pre-TSW...

Tom LeMense

All opininions expressed here belong to me and my all-bassett hound
bowling team...