Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lets Talk Music (longish)

From: jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Jon Drukman)
Date: 5 Dec 89 18:05:17 GMT
Subject: Re: Lets Talk Music (longish)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

In article <8912020701.AA02146@clutx.clarkson.edu> woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (Woj) writes:
>I find it incredibly interesting that many magazines (discounting _Time_
>and the _Wall_Street_Times_) have praised the album, while the majority
>of the Love-Hounds are disatisfied. I would imagine that it *does* have
>alot to do with us comparing it to the previous works, but we really
>shouldn't condemn or praise the album in comparison to her earlier mat-
>erial, rather we should do so upon its own merits.

The same thing happened with the last XTC album.  The critics were hot
to say "Totally brill!" and the fans (barring me) said: "Well, it's
OK, but not the best..."

I think it's only natural.  When you encounter ANYTHING, be it music,
or a book, or a film, or even a car, by someone who has done something
sterling in the past, you are incredibly tempted to compare the new
thing to the old.  But, I agree with you entirely.  We should examine
TSW based on its merits.  And, indeed, you so rightly ask:

>So what are its merits?

It has a lot of strong points.  It also has a lot of weak points.  My
positions have been pretty well established, so I'll just rip yours to
shreds (ha ha, joke, you're pretty on target, as far as I'm
concerned.)

>"Rocket's Tail"
>is kinda the same way --  the song is great up until the rock part -- which
>was great until I got tired of it (although the bass line in there still
>overwhelms me!) and Gilmour... (I know at least one person who will flame
>me -- in person! -- on that one)

It's amazing how divided people are on this one.  OR rather, it's amazing
how much the people who dislike the Pink Floyd-ish part of the song hate
it.  Julian West I believe falls into this category.  Personally, I love
it when the rock section kicks in, and I wish it went on for a few more
minutes.  My initial comment, in fact, was: "Way too abbreviated!"  I
don't like the way the drummer keeps leaning on the crash and splash
cymbals.  They really eat up too many high frequencies.

>"Walk Straight..." has its good points
>and I think it also shows off some of her singing ability, however, I do
>not see the similarity to Gabriel that ewveryone else hears...

I think the arpeggiating Fairlight bells in the choruses bear a
striking similarity to the beginning of "San Jacinto," and overall the
track reminds me a little of "Mercy Street." Although, "Deeper
Understanding" is much closer in tone to "Mercy Street" when you get
down to it...

>Hence, on its own, TSW deserves a bit'o'praise, but I don't think it was
>worth the four year wait (although she only worked on it for two, I know).

Aw hell, TSW deserves a LOT of praise, but it is not a perfect record
by any stretch of the imagination.  I would probably call it "a flawed
masterpiece."

>I really hope that the nest one (whenever it might be) will be incredible.

Me too, but I wouldn't get too anxious about it.  I don't think we'll
ever see another "Dreaming" or even "Ninth Wave..."

>Oops, one more thing. Does anyone know anything about the bassist on
>"the Big Sky" named Youth. I think I've heard of him, but can't place
>the name...

Well, he's on "Mother Stands For Comfort" actually, and he was in
Killing Joke and another band called Brilliant which I don't think
went anywhere, at least stateside.

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu |      "Suck on this,                     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |       planet of noise bimbo!"           |