Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: usenet@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 89 11:23:52 PST

To: ames!rec-music-gaffa
From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Kate-echism XXIX.12.ii
Date: 3 Dec 89 19:23:51 GMT
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV

> To: Love-Hounds
> From: Andrew Marvick (IED)
> Subject: Kate-echism XXIX.12.ii
>
>IED doesn't listen to the radio at all; and the fact that our
>extremely valuable Livermore correspondent does, and that he takes the
>trouble to share with us the data which he gleans from that activity,
>in no way indicates that radio has _shaped_ his musical preference for
>Kate! It's completely gratuitous and spiteful to suggest that it has.
>(In fact, the opposite is true: because of Ed's belief in Kate's
>music and his extraordinary efforts on the music's behalf, he seems to
>have had some success in shaping the attitude of the _radio_ station.)

Thanks for supporting me, IED.  I just want to make it clear to everyone
that I did *not* discover Kate on the radio.  It was in fact two friends
of mine in college who introduced me to her music.  It was five years
after I first became a fan that I first heard Kate on the radio.  It was
quite exciting for me; up till that point I had kind of assumed that
Kate *was never* and *could never be* played on the radio.

This also gives me an opportunity to explain why I try to make stations
play her.  (Yes, IED is right.  I think that KITS, at least, plays Kate
much more than they used to, perhaps due to my efforts.)  You see, I
figure I can always listen to Kate as much as I want, since I have all
the albums, B-sides, and other obscure things -- and I do listen, a lot!
When she's played on the radio (or MTV, for that matter) I imagine that
there are perhaps thousands of people listening to the same incredible
song I am, simultaneously.  I don't know why, but that always gives me
a big thrill.  Part of it, I suppose, is that I think there might be
someone who likes it enough to want to buy the album.

Perhaps my enthusiasm for Kate is catching.  Somebody in San Francisco
requested "Wuthering Heights" on last night's all-request show on KITS.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        | Caption:  "Kate Bush goes from cult fave to
Dept. of Applied Science   |        chart rave."  -- _Billboard_
UC Davis/Livermore         |   (In "Was It A Hit Or A Miss" in the 1985
ed@das.llnl.gov            |          year-end special issue.)