Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 14:03:28 PST
Subject: MisK.

First of all, a big thank you to |>oug for fixing rec.music.gaffa.
The Love-Hounds Digest was working fine for the last week, so there
was stuff posted.  For those of you who don't get the digest, the most
important news item (IMHO) is that VH-1 will have a special on Kate on
December 12.  Everybody, have your VCRs ready!

Thanks to IED for his kind words about me.

Now, the news:  I was down in L.A. over Thanksgiving weekend,
and I noticed that CBS has *finally* started to provide promotional
materials to record stores.  There is a poster which has a picture
of the album cover, and below that it says KATE BUSH in large letters,
black on a somewhat ugly orange background.  There is also a flat, which
has a picture of the album on one side.  The other side has the same
orange background as the bottom of the poster, and in black letters it
says KATE BUSH      THE SENSUAL WORLD.  Between the artist and title
is a white line drawing of a flower, seen from the side -- NOT the same
view as on the album cover.

Check around and see if any of your local record stores have put any of
this stuff up.  They made a pretty good display out if it at the
Music Plus in Studio City and (perhaps accordingly) the album is
number one there.

Next, I was able to obtain the new CD single at Bleecker Bob's
in L.A.  I was discussing this with Andrew Marvick, and we think we
see only minor differences between the "Single Mix" version of
"This Woman's Work" and the album version.  He finds some differences
between the new and old versions of "Be Kind To My Mistakes"  I'm not
sure yet.  Of course, my copy of the old version of BKTMM is pretty
damn poor, having been taped off a VCR when I rented the movie once.
The ending is definitely different.

As for the new song, "I'm Still Waiting", well, it's absolutely
terrific.  It's got quite a good beat -- you could actually dance
to it, I think.

Here's the review of the album from the November _20/20_, a slick
British arts magazine:

Kate Bush: 'The Sensual World'
EMI
1985's 'The Hounds Of Love' tranformed Kate Bush from mildly
charismatic pop curio to fully-blown eccentric genius.  'The Sensual
World' is more readily accessible (no side-long thematic suites in
the vein of 'The Ninth Wave'), its ten songs mostly working within
a conventional format, the faster moments in the vein of 'Big Sky'
and 'Cloudbusting'.  But when the pace slows, the music becomes more
beautifully indulgent.  The opeining title track will already be
familiar, having entered the charts at number 12 in the first week
of release, and as soon as Kate sings the opening line 'When I take
the kiss of seedcake right from his mouth' you know this is going to
be the maladjusted, lunatic adventure of her career.  From that dizzy
start, the album proceeds from on delirious swoon to another:  'Never
Be Mine' and 'This Woman's Work' echo 'The Man With The Child In His
Eyes', ricocheting with soulful, Marvin Gaye-ish abandon.  'Reaching
Out' and 'Deeper Understanding' mine the familiar, swirly vein that
we've come to expect, but Kate never plays to the crowds:  'The Fog'
is another matter entirely, using two chords to spark up a snowstorm
in your head.  The Beatles may have been bigger than Jesus, but Kate
Bush is sexier.
				  -- Paul Lester

Lastly, the current issue of _Rolling Stone_ is the annual year-end
special, so there are no record reviews. (The album has *still* not
been reviewed in this magazine!)  There is a paragraph about Kate in
the section dealing with the events of October, as well as a small
picture.

I will type in the Pulse! magazine interview for my next posting;
hopefully it will appear later today.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        | Caption:  "Kate Bush goes from cult fave to
Dept. of Applied Science   |        chart rave."  -- _Billboard_
UC Davis/Livermore         |   (In "Was It A Hit Or A Miss" in the 1985
ed@das.llnl.gov            |          year-end special issue.)