Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MisK.

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 16:41:26 EST
Subject: Re: MisK.

>Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
>
>though IED ventures to express
>the forlorn hope that in borrowing them, Drukman will make at least
>a minimal effort to apply some modicum of intelligence to his future
>postings. (Should this prove beyond him, Drukman can be expected to
>try feebly to steal some of IED's share of that commodity, too.)

Man, somebody sure woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, eh wot?

> >  Larry Hernandez: Get a life.
>
>     This is the kind of ignorant, patronizing remark that makes
>IED a real enemy of Drukman these days.

This is the kind of decontextualized, snide remark that makes Drukman
really question the motives of those on the net.  I don't suppose you
bothered to read the rest of the paragraph wherein I expressed in
rather restrained tones my reasons for considering the "Love and
Anger" video a less than sterling example of the genre.  Shall I
appease you and tell you what I _did_ like about it?  I already
mentioned the dervishes.  The editing is wonderful - all those
crossfades really help lift this video beyond the realm of the
"normal" MTV piece of sludge.  But in terms of richness, excitement,
and just plain imagination, it falls woefully short.  Check out _any_
of the videos from HoL and tell me that LAA is still a great piece of
work.  Maybe it's great in comparison to the rest of "Guns And Roses"
but as a Kate video, it needs more to be considered "great."

> >   Declan Nolan: You're OK in my book.  Forthrightness is to be
> >highly valued.  If only more people on this list (me included) had
> >the courage to say what we really think.
>
>     Drukman obviously uses his final word loosely. He and Declan
>deserve each other.

Here we obviously see the real reason for IED's picking on poor little
old me.  I think Declan deserves full marks for coming forth with an
admittedly controversial review of TSW.  You gonna consider him doggie
dirt just because he dares to think that Kate has slipped?  I don't
personally agree with his assessment of Walk Straight Down The Middle,
but I'm not going to say that he can't think just because he posted
something saying that he didn't like it.  I will take his band reviews
and recommendations with a grain of salt in the future, that's all.  I
suggest you lighten up and do the same or risk becoming a bloated
self-parody.

>-- Andrew Marvick (a bitter, bad-humoured but _true_ Kate Bush fan)
>   "Though the clouds have come, maybe the sun will come out!"

If a _true_ Kate Bush fan is one that uncritically accepts everything
she does as total brilliance and light, then mark me down as a
decidedly _false_ one.  And you're darned tootin about the clouds.  I
don't know where you got the quote from, but it certainly is
appropriate for Kate these days.

-- Jon Drukman (a sarcastic, wicked gleam-in-the-eye, probably
   _false_ Kate Bush fan)
   "No future for you!"