Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 11:49 PST
Subject: MisK.

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick

     IED observes that his own subject-headings (MisK., Mailbag, KT NEWS,
Kate-echism, etc.)--which date from his beginnings in Love-Hounds well over
four years ago--have recently been adopted by Love-Hounds as diverse as the
dependable, admirable and industrious Ed Suranyi, the interesting Woj,
and the foolish, supercilious and deplorable Jon Drukman. All of you are
welcome to use these headings, of course, though IED ventures to express
the forlorn hope that in borrowing them, Drukman will make at least
a minimal effort to apply some modicum of intelligence to his future
postings. (Should this prove beyond him, Drukman can be expected to
try feebly to steal some of IED's share of that commodity, too.)
     Thanks to Bob Kelner for the detailed information about the VH-1
announcement, and to Vishal for the news about _120_Minutes_.

 >  Oh, if anyone out there knows of other recordings of "My Lagan Love",
 > I'd appreciate a short note with the name of the performer and a rec-
 > ord label if possible. ThanKs.
 >
 > -- woj

     IED can't recall the label, though he knows it is now out on
CD as well as vinyl and cassette: an album of Irish folksongs
including _My_Lagan_Love_, recorded by the soprano artsinger Angela
Pearson with solo harp accompaniment. In fact, the title of the
album itself is _My_Lagan_Love_. This version (like the old 78
recording by John McCormack) uses the "original" (actually early
20th-century) lyrics. Kate uses new lyrics written for the song
by her brother John Carder Bush. No lyrics survive from the date of
the melody itself, which is probably 18th-century in origin.

 >  Larry Hernandez: Get a life.

     This is the kind of ignorant, patronizing remark that makes
IED a real enemy of Drukman these days.

 >   Declan Nolan: You're OK in my book.  Forthrightness is to be
 >highly valued.  If only more people on this list (me included) had
 >the courage to say what we really think.

     Drukman obviously uses his final word loosely. He and Declan
deserve each other.

-- Andrew Marvick (a bitter, bad-humoured but _true_ Kate Bush fan)
   "Though the clouds have come, maybe the sun will come out!"