Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Oppenheimer and Kate

From: tracyr@uunet.uu.net (jane smallberries)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 11:14:04 PST
Subject: Oppenheimer and Kate
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.COM

Someone posted about this recently, but I can't seem to find
the original article...

I too was surprised to hear Kate's comments about Oppenheimer
during the BBC Radio 1 interview.  When discussing the
motivation for "Heads We're Dancing", she described the
situation her friend found himself in (discovering later that
the man he was seated next to was Oppenheimer).  Kate said that
her friend was appalled when he found out, because he hated
Oppenheimer and "everything he stood for."

It was my understanding that Oppenheimer was sort of forced
into the position of project lead for the bomb, due to his
scientific prowess.  I thought that he resisted the whole time,
and was even criticized (and later removed from the project
lead position) for not wanting to drop the bomb in a populated
area.  In other words, I thought he was a good guy at heart,
who was rather unwilling much of the time.  Yet Kate (or her
friend) implied he was Evil Incarnate.

Do I stand corrected?  Or was Kate missing some pieces of the
whole situation?

-Tracy
uunet!sco!tracyr,
tracyr@sco.com
--
"What happens to the soul after death?  How does it manage?"

					          -- Woody Allen