Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Innocence Mission

From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 89 15:49:29 -0800
Subject: Re: The Innocence Mission
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hairy frogs from Neptune forced vishal@m2.csc.ti.COM (Vishal Markandey) to type:
>Later in the show, Don and Karen Peris of "The Innocence Mission" were
>interviewed, and they mentioned that they were influenced by KT, Peter Gabriel
>and Jane Sibberry's work.

This reminded me that I meant to say something about IM.  I just bought their
album, largely on the strength of Kate-comparisons, and I'm unimpressed.
Mostly they come across as a generic modern rock band -- a touch of Kate
here, a bit of U2 there -- without much personality of their own, other
than a fairly interesting singer (she doesn't come across as a Kate wannabe --
she has a throatier style, reminding me more of some of the English
folk-rockers whose names I've forgotten.  I may be thinking of Linda
Thompson, but I'm not sure).  Anyway, I found the songs & arrangements to
be pretty forgettable.

-- Stewart
--
"Bell peppers are like marketing.  Celery is like, uh,
 distribution channels or something."