Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Strange Angels

From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 89 15:47:51 -0800
Subject: Re: Strange Angels
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hairy frogs from Neptune forced Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu> to type:
>Am I the only one disappointed with Laurie Anderson's latest album?

This is, of course, one of those questions to which it is impossible to
honestly answer "yes".  But never mind.

>In my opinion, her first album was her best, and each succeeding album
>has gotten progresively worse.  The latest one is particularly boring.
>Oh, well.

I like "Strange Angels" quite a bit, but it certainly continues in the
direction she's been going, so I can understand |>oug's disappointment.
I do think it's her least challenging album, but her most musical; it's
a trade-off that in this case works.  "Babydoll", however, seems to me
like a retread of "Language is a Virus", and is the only track I'd rather
do without (I like "Language...", but one's enough).

-- Stewart
--
"Bell peppers are like marketing.  Celery is like, uh,
 distribution channels or something."