Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lets Talk Music (longish)

From: sco!scol!declann@uunet.uu.net
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 89 15:11:46 -0500
Subject: Lets Talk Music (longish)

Right then.

I've been reading Love-Hounds for about a year now and to be honest
I'm really getting a bit tired of the fact that decent discussion of
the MUSIC is constantly overshadowed by items of almost unbelievable
triviality. Here we have the first album from Kate in years and yet
the only topics that are receiving any sort of attention are things
like
"Oh where's the hidden symbol then ?"
The number of times Kate got played on some radio station.
The kind of video rotation on MTV
The position of the laugh
etc. etc. ad nauseum.

WHAT ABOUT THE BLOODY MUSIC !!!!

Well I guess most people have made their comments about _The Sensual World_
by now so I suppose I should add my 2 pence worth. So here goes...
(Every sentence to be mentally prefixed by a "IMHO" of course ;-) )

	The Sensual World

1. The Sensual World

When I first heard this I quite liked it. The textures, the mood
appealed to me. Being Irish, I particularily like the celtic feel
of this song. However, as time passed I just got tired of it, I
guess it never really made "the connection". The vocals are good,
the arrangement is good, but there's something missing. Maybe I'll
give it a few more spins.....

2. Love and Anger

A good solid piece of music and an obvious choice for the American
market. It's definitely chart fodder though and while I like it, is
nothing really to write home about.

3. The Fog

Ah ! This is more like it ! Yes, the best song on side one by a long
shot with its rich instrumentation and textures. Lyrics are a bit
disappointing and the song does tend to meander a bit after a while
but great to listen to loud and in the dark.

4. Reaching Out

Well, well, this is a bone of contention isn't it ! Taken purely on
its own merits, its just about ok, but for a song by Kate, its a
pretty feeble effort. Her voice is good but, but, but THIS IS NOT
THE KATE WE KNOW AND LOVE !!

5. Heads We're Dancing

I nearly always turn this off halfway through because it gets pretty
boring after a while. Interesting idea though, and a pity it didn't
really come off. I mean this should exude menace and evil but ends
up going nowhere.

6. Deeper Understanding

I work with computers everyday and to be honest, the lyrics here
come very close to making me cringe with embarrasement. Sung by
anyone else, this song would make me gag, but as it happens I do
like it and it is definitly saved by the Trio B.

7. Between A Man and A Woman

For me, this is probably one of the most boring songs Kate has ever
recorded. The melody is boring, the lyrics are so trite I find it
hard to believe she wrote them. I just don't think the idea of one
person telling another not to interfere in the relationship of two
other people is a particularily interesting one. In fact,
this kind of rubbish makes me angry when we all know what she's
really capable of. Ugh.

8. Never Be Mine

Excellent. This is one of the best on the album being full of
atmosphere and incredibly evocative. It took a while to grow on
me but now I love it and unlike the last song, the lyrics are
very good. The idea of fantasy vs. reality is intelligently and
beautifully handled, while the whole song itself has a very sad
and reflective atmosphere to it.

9. Rocket' Tail

Like a lot of other people, this was the song which grabbed me first.
Indeed its like two songs, both very different yet dovetailing
together in an almost perfect match. The sad, wonderful harmonies of
the Trio Bulgarka are nicely complemented by Kate, and David Gilmour
kicks in at just the right moment. Cliched guitar solo ? Yes, of
course but its still powerfully affecting together with the brilliant
cacophony of voices which carries the song through. An exilirating
roller coaster of a song.

10. This Woman's Work

The perfect complement to the previous song. It is quiet, sad and
moving.

11. Walk Straight Down The Middle

I've tried very hard to like this song but except for her vocalising,
this is a really mediocre effort and probably should have been left
off the LP and cassette versions so as to allow the album to end on
This Woman's Work, which would have been the perfect ending.

In conclusion, I have to say that this album is a big disappointment
and it doesn't even begin to scale the heights of _The Ninth Wave_
or _The Dreaming_. I mean for Gods sake, how could someone who has
written the darkest, most intense mindf*ck of a song, i.e _Get Out
Of My House_ come up with the insipid _Reaching Out_ ? The world
is full of great mysteries, my friends. In comparison with most of
whats out at the moment, this is a good album. In comparison with
her older material, it just dosen't cut it, as you Americans might
say. I think this album is particularily weak in the lyrics
department but very strong in terms of vocalising and arrangement.

Well, I sure I've pissed off just about everybody but thats your
problem. As I've said, everything is IN MY OPINION ONLY !!!
Get that folks ? So no stupid flames please. I am interested
in hearing constructive comments only, so if you feel the need to
post saying "I think xxxx song is brilliant, and you are a shithead"
then I suggest you go lie down for a while and practise breathing
exercises, and then come back and post something constructive.

That said, I am interested in hearing your comments and hopefully
we will get around to discussing the old albums as well.

Don't all shoot at once !!

Declan

Declan Nolan |	Europe : ..!ukc!pyrltd!scol!declann | "This Stairway ain't to
SCO Ltd, UK  |	 The	 declann@sco.COM	    | Heaven. This one's to