Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Shawn Colvin & some Suzanne Vega news

From: "Mike Pritchard" <mpp@uf.msc.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 02:00:30 CST
Subject: Shawn Colvin & some Suzanne Vega news

I just got back from seeing Shawn Colvin play at a local bar.  She is a
"cosmopolitan folkie" (to quote the local paper).  She didn't have a
band, her guitar and a microphone were the only things she had on stage
with her.  I heard more than one person say that she sounded like Suzanne Vega
and I can't say that I totally disagree (she told us a story about how
she was asked to do a Suzanne Vega sound alike for a commercial).  She has done
some work with Suzanne Vega in the past.  She did some backing vocals on
"Luka" and Suzanne Vega did some work on Shawn's debut album "Steady On".
She was very personable and I would recommend going to hear her if you get
a chance.

Now on to the Suzanne Vega news.  After the show I talked with Shawn
briefly and asked her about Suzanne Vega's new album.  She said that
she had done some work on it just the other day.  She also said that due to
Vega's record company being sold (I didn't know that A&M had been sold),
that the album probably won't be out until around April.  Sigh.

I hope that all makes some sense.  It has been a very long day.

-Mike