Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TSW review

From: bloch%mandrill@ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch)
Date: 7 Nov 89 07:48:52 GMT
Subject: TSW review
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nobody%sdcsvax@ucsd.edu

The following is a review in UCSD's mainstream student newspaper (as
opposed to the left-wing student newspaper, the right-wing student
newspaper, the humor student newspaper, the student-activities news-
paper, the Jewish student newspaper, the Chicano student newspaper,
and several different "college" newspapers), the _UCSD_Guardian_.
Review by Mike Newton:
   I was seduced.  The first song on the new Kate Bush album,
_The_Sensual_World_, sent me reeling as I entered the siren-haunted
landscape inhabited by her sultry voice, enchanting music and
evocative lyrics.
   As the title suggests, the album is about feelings, mostly dark
ones.  Unlike her last work, _The_Hounds_of_Love_ [sic], a beautiful
but somewhat abstract conceptual piece, Bush speaks personally and
directly to us.  Almost every song on the album deals with
relationships, whether it's between lovers, parents and children, or
people and technology.
   Many of the songs have a tone suggesting that Bush is still feeling
the pangs of a recent break-up: "It lay buried here, it lay deep
inside me / It's so deep I don't think that I can / Speak about it...
Take away the love and anger / And a little piece of hope holding us
together." [sic]  These potent emotions made her music all the more
personal and powerful.
   There are a few noteworthy guest appearances on the album.  David
Gilmour, guitarist for Pink Floyd and the musician credited for having
"discovered" Bush, brings his searing, soaring electrified strings to
two of the songs.  Alan Stivell, world-renowned heir of the authentic
Celtic harp and barding tradition, lends his ancient instrument on two
songs.  [Would you believe he doesn't mention Trio Bulgarka?]
   I can't think of any radio station that accurately represents the
style of music on this album.  It's not dance music, hard rock, New
Age or anything easily classifiable.  It's dominated by Bush's
cooing-screaming singing, her piano and Fairlight accompaniment, and
Stuart Elliot's drums.  It shows occasional Celtic influences, but is
thoroughly modern.
   Bush has a very unusual and distinctive style.  If you don't like
her already, this album is not likely to make you a convert.  If you
do already like her, or have leanings in the art-rock, Peter Gabriel,
Laurie Anderson direction, you'll probably want to acquire her latest
undertaking.
   Did I like this album?  Mmmm, yes.

"Writers are a funny breed -- I should know." -- Jane Siberry

bloch%cs@ucsd.edu